Sunday, February 21, 2021

"WHAT'S FOR SUPPER?"

      Just so you know. I am sick of cooking.  I went in search of a poem about this when I found this one.  Boy did it ever help!  NOT  Now, not only have I cooked for my parents; siblings, husband; children and many of our neighbors, now I'm supposed to be this magnificent cook called a "Grandma."  WOW.  NO FAIR.  Do you ever find poems about how great Grandpa is at mowing the lawn or fixing the car?  No, but Grandmas are all supposed to be great cooks.  UGGGG

  How can you all help the cooks in your house?  Let me count the ways.  The number one way would be to show appreciation for what has been prepared for you.  Then you could set the table; clear the table; have interesting table conversations--I said interesting not confrontational.  Probably the biggest help would be for someone to stay in the kitchen while the cooking is going on.  You can read your paper at the table...............................

   Sorry.  I am so not in a good mood but then, who always is--especially when my computer won't let me set the margins how I want them to be AND I must go make some food for supper 

RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!


MEMORIES OF GRANDMA AND COOKING

Boy could Grandma cook

Everything, anything, all,

And from memory

Mornings at Grandma’s
Her kitchen thickly scented,
Breakfast in the air

Hot biscuits, sausage,
Cold orange juice. fresh coffee,
Perfume in a pot

Dinners, all homemade,
Stuffed cabbage, pierogi, soup
Dark, crusty babka

Round loaves of babka,
Egg rich, loaded with raisins,
Slathered with butter

Holidays, a feast.
Roast turkey, baked ham, fresh rolls,
Homemade kielbasa

Grandma made sausage,
Her own, with me at her side,
Her little helper

Her cooking lessons,
Not about meals, went deeper
To her, food meant love




🥟Pierogi are small dough dumplings typically filled with potato, sauerkraut, ground meat, or cheese and served with sour cream. Kielbasa is any type of meat sausage from Poland, usually but not  containing meat and garlic.  Babka is a rich eggy  bread made with sweet yeast and, in Grandma’s case, lots and lots and LOTS of raisins. The more raisins, the better we liked it!🥮

❤️ My Grandmother was such an profound influence on my life through her love that I am doing a series of poems dedicated to her.  This is the second. 🌹🌹



No comments:

Are you sad today too?

  The Glorious Sadness Of Mother’s Day Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2024 | by David P. Deavel | 2 Comments | Print AMAC EXCLUSIVE Holidays have...