Sunday, September 23, 2012

Perfectionism

I was just talking to Cora about perfectionism and how it ruins lives. I speak from experience--a lifetime of experience. I think it came from my constantly doing things to try to earn my parent's love and approval--which never happened BTW.


I wondered if anyone had written any poetry about perfectionism and how it makes a person feel. I goggled, "Perfectionism poetry" and this is the first selection that came up. There may be more of them out there, but when it's perfect, you may as well pick the first one.


As I read the first part of this, it struck me that many of you may not think of me as it is portrayed. However, there have been times in my life when I tried to have every hair in place......... That was before I almost died from putting such pressure on myself 6 years ago.
 

This may sound funny to those of you who don't struggle with choking, crippling perfectionism, but recently I heard that it's like having a bully in your head that you can't ever get away from. I agree and share this poem with you all with the hopes that you will free up perfectionists in your life (maybe even YOU) by starting to talk about it.

God bless,

Dawn

Perfect Imperfection
 
  Melissa Bachara
 
  I am a contradiction
a perfect imperfection
On looking in from outside
I think I’d pass inspection
 
My nails are neat, each hair in place
My clothes the latest styles
But look a little closer,
And you can see my trials
 
The window to my balanced soul
Is stained from too much smoke
A birds eye view down at my heart
Will clearly show it’s broke
 
My best intentions lead to pain
And complicated messes
My head is filled with wishes,
My decisions second guesses
 
There was a time I tried to hide
each wrinkle, scar and tear
But I’m learning to appreciate
That I’m more than I appear
 
Each wrinkle tells a story
The path from there to here
I’ve earned a little wisdom
With every falling tear
 
My soul will soar in brilliant skies
But then I’ll need to rest
The embers of my passion
Still smolder in my chest
 
Perhaps I’ll let my hair go wild
And skip the manicure
I’ll wear my favorite color
They’ll say "Hey, look at her"
 
My hair, my heart, my clothes, my soul
Will walk in one direction
No longer contradicting
My perfect imperfection
 
This 'perfect' poem was posted in our Poetry Forum on July 12, 2005. Melissa is a freelance writer and graphic designer living in the United States.

No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...