Sunday, November 7, 2010

Crying

Goodness, I've never had it hit me THIS hard before. I just came in from chores after having a good cry. When I first went outdoors this morning, I noticed that large numbers of geese were heading East. I thought, "Oh good, they're just strengthening their wings before they leave us in a few weeks," and went on my way.

After the milking as I came out of the barn, though, I noticed that there was an awful lot of honking about a mile East of here. Do you remember the pictures that I took of that field full of them last year. Well, that must be where they had agreed to meet this morning, as birds were heading there from all directions.

I watched amazed as they clumped together swirling, swirling, swirling. Then, as I watched, someone headed SOUTH! Was I mistaken? "It's such a beautiful morning, Lord," I prayed, "they CAN't be leaving us for the Winter, CAN THEY?"

I kept watching and then I felt the tears slipping down my checks. It was undeniable--THEY WERE ALL HEADING SOUTH!!!!!!!!!! I have always felt an immense longing for them when they're gone, but I can't ever recall weeping at the loss of their beauty and honking in the sky overhead.

Yet there I was crying silently as I watched the long columns of Canadians heading south on their long migration to warmer climates before our North Dakota winter hits. We're taught in BodyTalk that 90% of what we do comes out of the subconcsious mind. Lots of times we don't understand why we do or feel something and this was a bit of a surprise to me.

I tried to stop crying but I've learned enough to know that this is unhealthy. Cora walked up to me, saw that I was crying and walked on by to leave me to my thoughts. Jacob did the same. I, too, tried to walk away from the spot but I was glued there. For the next 20 minutes, I watched as every last Canadian goose flapped joyfully Southward for their Winter homes.

Slowly the sky emptied out and so did the contents of my tear ducts. It was very strange and stranger still that I find myself writing about this. Still, this is one more of those times that I simply MUST write. It makes me feel better to write and if my thoughts can bless even one person in the world in only one, little way, then I am VERY glad that I shared this powerful moment in my life with you.

I love poetry, as you well know. This is a poem that we shared at Alfred one 4th Sabbath about 5 years ago. I just loved it then and so I dug it out for you to ponder as you think about this moment in my life on the prairie of North Dakota. If you're one of those who lives where "My" birds go for the Winter, I'd appreciate your waving them a welcome when they appear in your part of the world.

Best get ready to go. I'm taking the family out for lunch at the Golden Corral in Bismarck today in appreciation for helping get ready for dad's sale. This is a long-awaited treat for us. Then Robert is treating the family to a treat which shall remain a secret for we haven't told the children about it yet--only that we're taking them to something special this afternoon at 2:30. You'll have to wait along with the children to see what it is.

Have a great week in the Lord,

Dawn


SOMETHING TOLD THE WILD GEESE
By Rachel Field



Something told the wild geese

It was time to go,

Though the fields lay golden

Something whispered, "snow."



Leaves were green and stirring,

Berries, luster-glossed,

But beneath warm feathers

Something cautioned, "frost."



All the sagging orchards

Steamed with amber spice,

But each wild breast stiffened

At remembered ice.



Something told the wild geese

It was time to fly,

Summer sun was on their wings,

Winter in their cry.

1 comment:

Tamera said...

It is sad to see them go in the fall, isn't it?

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...