Sunday, May 13, 2018

Let's help her out

Today, I'm surrounded by my children and my grandchildren.  Even my mother-in-law is with us for the weekend. 
 
Today I am happy.
 
I haven't cried so much in all my life as I ponder the possibility of Cora taking her family to MN to enter the dairy industry.  Today I realize that all that I've hoped for can fall apart by the end of this month.
 
Today I am happy and sad.
 
Today I'm thinking of many women who have no family around them at all.  I suppose that's why I searched for a poem about unloved mothers. 
 
I found this one.
 
I'm afraid there's no happy ending--there isn't always one, you know.
 
So I thought to myself, if I share this poem and someone thinks of some lonely mother somewhere and goes and sits with her for even 5 minutes, then I can feel good about taking the time to share this poem on Mother's Day.
 
Let's help her out, shall we?
 
Dawn
 
 

The Forgotten Mother

©
Published: February 2006
                
A gray old woman sits all alone
Unloved, uncherished, and unknown.
Sitting beside her broken door.

 Dreaming of days past long ago,
When children played about her knee
Filling the air with childish glee,
Tended by her with loving care
.
Knowing the blessing of a Mother's prayer.
But now they have gone, each to his life
A girl to her husband, a boy to his wife,

 Forgetful are they of her who sits here
Silently wiping a tricking tear,
For striving for things in a life so brief
Blind their poor eyes to a dear Mother's grief.

 But does she upbraid them in word or in mind.
Nor does their neglect to her seem unkind.
She'll forgive and forget all unkindness they've shown
This poor old mother who sits alone.
 

No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...