Sunday, August 15, 2010

Still Day 1--Minneapolis to Atlanta

I really HAVE been trying to write here but my computer would not let me in to post for the past 4 days. I used to get upset about things like that, but I figure that the Lord knows best when I need to post and when I need to keep my nose to the grindstone. It's been a LOT of grindstone this week, but that's good too. I started this post a few days ago, so some of this is old news, but it does give you an idea of a few things that I've been up to.

Anyway, these are STILL pictures from July 30th--the first day of our trip to Tiger, Georgia. Today I have limited time to write as Cora and I picked chokecherries and we are processing them PLUS applesauce PLUS we're going through dozens of eggs that she found in the barn. Did you know that, if an egg bounces when you put it in water, you know that they are dog/cat food?
Well, we finally made it to the Minneapolis airport just a little bit late. We came in gate F1 and just had to walk down this very crowded hallway to gate F7. We were a little bit early and had to wait until they boarded another flight which left that gate before us. When they all cleared out, I went up to the desk and asked if we had to go through security or anything. The very kind man asked, "Did you just come in on another plane?" I said, "Yes," and then he said, "No--you're good to go then." WOW--THAT WAS A RELIEF. Can you tell that I know absolutely nothing about flying by air? Well, I guess that is no longer true anymore, but it was then. Once again I apologize for the fuzzy pictures but they do get better once we hit day 2 or 3 of our journey. :)

Jacob and I went and bought a $10 sandwich then. It was a pretty big sandwich but still, $10 for a sandwich????????? We shared it and then went back to the waiting area and waited.

I took these pictures while we were waiting. This is a map of the Minneapolis airport.
You can see our plane through the big window here.
I had asked Jacob to wear his bright, yellow shirt so that I could spot him in the crowd if we would get separated. Even with these bad shots, I'm sure that you can see him. :)
It didn't take long until we heard the woman announce that they were boarding all handicapped people on our flight. Shortly after that she announced that the FIRST CLASS passengers could board. Then she said, "Zone 1 passengers may now board the plane." A few minutes later, "Zone 2..." and finally she called out, "Zone 3 passengers may now board the plane." That was us.

She kept announcing that the federal inspectors were there to inspect everyone and that we should be prepared to step out of line if they needed more information about us. I guess we must have looked honest as the federal inspector just waved us by after looking at my driver's license.

The lady who scanned the boarding passes was rude enough to make up for the pleasant federal inspector. Later a smiling face at Sam's Club told me that, "It's a requirement that people be grumps if they work at airports." :) Most weren't, but that one sure sticks in my mind as she pushed Jacob forward towards the plane as if he WERE a cow.

This was a bigger jet with over 200 passengers and it was FULL. Once again Jacob and I lugged our small suitcase; my book bag; my purse; and Andrew's laptop down a long, narrow aisle looking for our number. I can say it now, because it's behind us, but what made us the most nervous was the fact that we were carrying over $800 in those bags. We each had to pay $350 in cash to our instructor so we were both edgy until we safely put that money in the right hands.
You may recall that my first flight didn't go so well. If I wasn't totally committed to helping Jacob get the information that he needs to start his business, I'm not sure if I would have BOARDED this jet. Now I'm very glad that I did.
The Lord had a special treat in mind for Jacob and I and it came in the form of this man who sat next to me. It didn't take long to see that Frank (not his real name) truly loved the Lord. I told him that our first flight was pretty awful and he listened sympathetically. He was a wise traveler and he shared some thoughts on how to keep your ears from building up pressure; how to keep from getting airsickness; and how to look at life as if it's one big adventure--which it is. It didn't take long until he had my spirits a LITTLE bit lighter.

However, when we were moving towards the runway, I looked at the window and saw that that huge tail fin was shaking terribly. I tried not to look at it, but I was glued to it, and had a sinking feeling in my already queasy stomach. I said to Jacob, "Doesn't that thing look as though it's going to fall off?" He and Frank had a good laugh at my expense. Jacob told me later, when I was finally relaxing at the Inn, that this was happening because we were turning and it's hard to get both of the engines to turn perfectly in time. With the plane being so large, this led to lots of vibration in the wings and that huge fin showed it the best. It made me decide not to ever fly on airplanes with big fins like that ever again. Go ahead and laugh all you like--I am serious!

On the contrary, Jacob was fascinated with this plane because it had little computers on the back of the seats ahead of us. We could watch the trip on a little map on this screen so we got a little geography lesson as we whizzed along at 575 miles per hour!!!
I guess it didn't fall off after all and as soon as we got turned onto the runway, it quit wobbling.

Soon we were up in the air again and on our way to Atlanta, Georgia. Good job, God, for sending Frank to me to help me get my mind off of the fact that I was zooming along VERY quickly.
We had an unforgettable conversation about life. That seems rather vague, I know, but things take on a different perspective when you're in an airplane. I wasn't the only one who was fearful as I saw lots of people with their heads bowed asking for a safe flight--especially on our first flight. All I can say for sure is that every time Jacob asked me to look out of the windows, my stomach started churning TERRIBLY. I kept trying but then I gave up and concentrated on my discussion with Frank about God and what it means to be a Christian in our world.
Frank told me that he belongs to a church which has a healing ministry. Now THAT really got me interested and I asked him to tell me some stories about folks who have been healed--events that he, himself, has seen. Now that was an interesting hour as Frank shared stories about his own ankle injury and other healings that he had witnessed. He told me that his church has a website called, "Spirituality.com." Now that's so easy to remember that it's still in my memory 2 weeks later and I didn't even write it down.
Frank is the kind of person who is easy to talk to so I shared about MY healing ministry and gave him my business card. I encouraged him to come to my blog to read about our time together but, if he did come, he probably got tired of waiting for me to get this far. Anyway, thanks ___, for being there for me that day and sharing that ALL of life is merely what we perceive it to be. After all, as Christ said to His disciples right before He raised the little girl from the dead, "She isn't dead." See I haven't forgotten! :) I may write a separate post about your philosophy later as it truly was life-changing for me, Frank! May God bless you richly for being there for me that day!!!!!!!


So, after nearly 3 hours visiting with this man of God, we safely landed in Atlanta, Georgia. It's the busiest airport in the world and my heart was filled with trepidation at the thought of having to drive out of there into a city of 5 million people. However, the lesson that Frank had taught me over and over had sunk in and I un-boarded (what is that called anyway?) the plane a new person. If God said that I could do it, I COULD DO IT, AND I DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But that's the post for another day.
Well, my guys are home for supper. Cora is decorating a cake so it's up to me to serve my hungry fellows some of our wonderful organic beef with carrots and a goat's milk shake. Want to come over for supper?
Blessings to all who take the time to listen to the quavering voices around them and speak peace into their trembling hearts,
Dawn

4 comments:

Tamera said...

So glad to read the next installment. You were SO brave! :-)

Tamera said...

So glad to read the next installment. You were SO brave! :-)

Kimberly said...

Great trip posts, Dawn. I love your honesty.

Anonymous said...

Dear Tamera,
"Brave" is the last word that I would ever have used to describe myself before the trip but perhaps I have been more brave than I realized all along. :) Thanks for the comment!
Dawn

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...