Sunday, May 6, 2018

Get out of bed!!

 
Enough of this gloom.  Winter is over and Spring is really here.  Not the early Spring of snowbanks disappearing and mud appearing everywhere.  No--this is SPRING--plant in the garden Spring!  YAY
 
It's amazing how every gardening year is different!  The garden is different every year because I plant things in different places than they were last year.  It's also different because I'm different. 
 
 This year I'm a grandma at gardening season.  This year I'm not wondering how Cora and Marie are feeling during their pregnancies.  This year, I'm wondering how they will plant with Elsie and Timothy in their lives.  How much will they need me to help them in their gardens? 
 
What shall I plant?  That's the one constant in gardening.  The seed catalogs have arrived for months and they're filled with pictures of gorgeous photos of flowers, vegetables, and fruit.  Everything looks so tempting to try.  The descriptions of each type of green bean is AMAZING!!!

This year I have a new challenge.  Being we got our walkway in place, now I need to fill our little park up front with wonderful things.  Should I plant shrubbery?  Where will the fire pit go?  Do we want a picnic table in that area?  I know I want Robert's  birdhouse up there but where?  Is it really possible for us to design our own miniature waterfall out of rocks from our farm????????????
 
I decided to try to find a gardener's poem and, boy, are there ever a bunch of those.  I like this one as I really feel the garden calling me in the morning.  "Dawn, get out of bed and come and eat some peas," or "You better get out here as the potatoes are blooming!"  OH IT'S GLORIOUS!!
 
Happy Spring everyone.  I hope you'll all grow something this year.  God first put man in a garden for a reason.  He knew that it's healthy for mankind to take care of something and watch it grow.  Finally, after all of my labors, there is the food ready to eat--food that I grew myself!!!  There's no food like it in the whole wide world!!
 
See you later--I'm off to help Cora plant the onions,
 
Dawn
 
 
Gardeners hands planting flowers at back yard 
 
 
 
 
The Gardener’s Morning

The robin’s song at daybreak
Is a clarion call to me.
 
Get up and get out in the garden,
For the morning hours flee.
 
I cannot resist the summons,
What earnest gardener could?

 For the golden hours of morning
Get into the gardener’s blood.
 
The magic spell is upon me,
I’m glad that I did not wait;

 For life’s at its best in the morning,
As you pass through the garden gate.

– Howard Dolf

No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...