Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I didn't get stuck

Well, I know that it's time for me to be in bed but I just finished a BT session on a pregnant client of mine who is due any day. My mind isn't quite ready to go from work to sleep so I thought I'd just say that I started driving tractor today.

Everyone is late here getting going with seeding as it's been so wet. I've never actually driven in a field where there was standing water the size of a small lake. Robert was out in the field picking rocks so I gave him a call and said, "I don't mean to sound stupid, but what do you do when you come to the water?"

His reply was, "Well, I wouldn't go driving through it unless you want to get stuck."

HMM. "Well," I asked, "how close can I get to it?"

Very matter-of-factly he responded, "That depends on the tractor driver."

Well, it didn't take long to figure out just how close was too close to the water. I was surprised that I could go right past the standing water when I was one disk width (24 feet) away. The next time I drove by the lake in the field, I was about 10 feet away from the water when suddenly my big wheels started spinning. OOPS

Quickly I lifted the disk out of the ground and prayed like mad. I turned sharply away from the water and rocked like a person does when you're in a stuck vehicle. Why do we do that? As if our little puny bodies could make a difference when a 300 horse power tractor is having trouble.

I'm sure it was the prayers and not my rocking that got me to solid ground after a little while of agony. I didn't go that close again and I finished around 10:00 by going all the way around the lake.

Robert had gone home to feed the cows and then he came back to pick me up. As I walked from the tractor to the van in the dark, I breathed in the wonderful smell of freshly turned organic soil. I was talking to Robert on the phone, as I had called him to ask some questions about shutting down the huge beast for the night. I said to my husband of almost 30 years, "Oh, the farm life is sooooooooo wonderful." He just grunted as he had been picking rocks all evening by hand.

I will be so glad when all of the rocks are picked but I'll tell you one thing. I drove through several places where there used to be rock piles and it was soo wonderful not to have to go around them. The railroad had to quit taking them for now so I did have to go around several in the field, but it's such a joy to know that there are not ANY rock piles in the quarter across the road. PRAISE THE LORD!!!

Well, my brain is starting to unwind now so I guess I'll say, "Good night." I'll try to get some pictures of the 4890 tomorrow. I miss my Andrew as he is off disking for our friend but it kind of tickled me to think that we were both disking today--just about 50 miles apart.

GOODNIGHT ANDREW! GOODNIGHT CORA! GOODNIGHT JACOB! GOODNIGHT ROBERT! GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn,
I understand "not wanting to get stuck"- several years ago it seemed I couldn't travel a country road without getting stuck... now that I am acclamated more to the country type roads after several years I don't get stuck- but you never know! Your caution is admirable!

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine,
Nice to hear from you. Your comment reminded me of when I was a young city girl.
When I was in high school, my friend Tammy and I used to go driving around on the weekends. We drove out on the west side of Eureka and out into the country to see something different. When we came to the end of the pavement, we'd turn around and go back to town. Somehow I was afraid to leave the pavement.
Several years later I met Robert. He lived on that very road and suddenly I had incentive to drive on that road to see my sweetheart. :) When we got married, I drove that road to town all the time and thought nothing of it. It just goes to show--most of the time we have nothing to fear except fear itself.
Peace,
Dawn

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...