Saturday, October 30, 2010

Touring the San Francisco Bay

It was next to impossible, but we did finally tear ourselves away from Filoli. Thursday was the time that Cora had written about in our big book these words, "Today is the day that I most wish that I could be with you." We figured that she must know of further delights as she had planned the trip for us so back we went into the beautiful city of San Francisco.

We found the street with all of the gorgeous Pier buildings full of cars from people out on cruises. We were looking for...

THIS one.

This was so that we could board this boat....

which we did as this picture is proof of.

Passengers on the upper most deck

We were standing by the rail with a nice family of 4 from Colorado. The wife told me that they were there to celebrate their 20th anniversary and I, of course, shared that we were celebrating 30 years of marriage. We wished each other a happy anniversary and pleasantly chatted the whole rest of the cruise.
I was very thankful that the children had bought us 2 City Passes for $62 each as this was only one of the tours that we were allowed to enter with our passes. The mother of the family told me that they had paid $70 for their family just to take this one cruise. Good job on purchasing the City Passes children. This picture shows the wake so you can see that we were moving along rather quickly.

The tour took us out to the Golden Gate Bridge where the boat was turned around. This is what the bridge looks like from the deck of the HARBOR EMPEROR.

This is the now-abandoned prison Alcatraz. There was one boat that took people out here for a tour but neither Robert, nor I, cared to spend any money to go and see it. Instead we looked at it as our boat slowly glided past it.

The wife from Colorado offered to take our picture, with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background, if we would return the favor and take a picture of their family. This happened quite often on our journey.

One of the delights on the Bay was seeing many sailboats out and enjoying the glory of the lovely weather. Only once had I ever seen a sailboat and this was when my Uncle David from Wisconsin had brought his out to sail on Lake Eureka. It turned out a great disappointment to him as he'd just gotten his sails up when he was at the other end. These folks had no such disappointment as there was plenty of Bay for everyone.

This boat was available for those more adventurous spirits. Robert said that the boys would have loved to have a ride on that one as it REALLY moved. I was happy that I wasn't on it as I would have a ride on a fast boat in a few days and one of those is enough for me. :)

Well everyone, Cora has found a new movie for us to watch, so I'll close for now. We're still not at the end of my picture review of Thursday on that unforgettable week in California, but the rest will have to wait for another time. We took over 1,700 pictures on our journey so you can look forward to many more to come.
I wish you all a glorious Sabbath rest--what's left of it. The guys just came in from trying out their new shotguns; Cora and I played ourselves out on duets at the piano; and dark will fall on us soon. Then the new work week will begin but for now, it is STILL THE MOST GLORIOUS DAY OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sabbath hugs to all of you out there whom I love,
Dawn

2 comments:

Tamera said...

Hope you had a Happy Sabbath!

Olivia and I went on a bus tour of four different quilt shops.

Looks like you had fun in San Francisco. It's such a lovely city.

Kimberly said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures. On these dreary cloudy days it helps take me to a sunnier place. I was in San Francisco twice as a young girl. I remember it pretty well. We had relatives that lived close by in California at the time and stayed with them. They are good memories to savor.

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...