Sunday, March 19, 2017

My silly poetry

For as far back as I can remember, little rhymes would pop into my head.  As early as Junior High School, the silly things would just come over me when I was doing something else.  I would run for a note pad; write it down; and smile at how witty I was.  Then I'd throw the paper out a few days later, when I could clearly see how juvenile it was, and I didn't want anyone to know that I had "Wasted time on nothing." 

A few years later, I found music being added to my rhymes.  It just flowed out of me--usually when I was cleaning the house. 

At one point, I thought to myself, "That was really good.  I should try to record it."  So I would get out my parent's little recorder and repeat what I had just been given.  The tin can sound that played back at me convinced me that I had no talent whatsoever.

Little by little, that part of me died.  I had no easy way to record it and nobody seemed interested in my part time activity of "Making believe that I had talent" as one brother told me. 

Then I got married to a farmer/rancher and started milking 120 Holsteins and no poetry came. 

Then I became a mother and took on the challenges of home schooling my 3 children.  At that time, I can recall that lots of little songs flowed through me to my children which seemed to delight them. 

Then I grew ill and the music stopped completely.  For the past 10 years my entire focus has been to try to find a way to keep living!!!  If I could keep the laundry done; the lessons taught; meals on the table; and the house tidy WHAT ELSE MATTERED?????????????????

Now this morning, JUST NOW, something happened and I DO have a way to share it with someone else.  I have my blog!

I got up; made the guy's lunch; did cortices for them; drank my Vital Reds; and was sending them off to work at the plant for the day.

As I was carrying their cooler down the hall to them, while they were putting on their coveralls, a little jingle just POPPED INTO MY HEAD!!!! 

I cannot think of when the last time was that this happened.  It certainly hasn't happened in the past decade as I struggled to recover from shingles on the brain and now MS.

As the old habit returned,  I sat down the cooler; went into my office; grabbed a notebook; and wrote down these words.  Then I waved the guys off and went back to my office to read it.

HOWEVER, knowing my tendency to perfectionism AND being an older and wiser Dawn, I decided NOT to read it before I share it. 

This is pretty scary.  SERIOUSLY!!  How dare I not proofread 10 times what I share with my readers?  It is soooo unprofessional. 

Well, maybe that is JUST what it IS supposed to be!!  Maybe all of those spur of the moment jingles that came to me as I was maturing were SUPPOSED to be imperfect--no matter WHAT my English teacher said???? 

So

HERE IT IS!

 
GET OVER THE FEAR
OF LEARNING SOMETHING NEW.
YOUR CONFIDENCE WILL SOAR
ONCE THIS TASK YOU DO!
 
 
 
There, that wasn't so hard.  I suppose that I could delete this post but that would be a bigger waste of time than just throwing out a piece of paper.  No, I'll leave it here and perhaps it IS meant for another to ponder and not only myself.
 
God bless you all with an adventurous new week as you shake off old fears and soar on the wings of confidence!

Dawn

1 comment:

Kristi said...

This is inspiring. I'm glad your poetry returned and that you took the time to put this history down. And it didn't need proofreading. : ) It's already perfect.

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...