Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Awesome birthday

My 55th birthday, December 25, 2012, was a fantastic day in my life.  We got up; did chores; and headed for Mandan to spend the morning and afternoon with Robert's folks.  It was a pleasant time together and I received such an awesome birthday card from my in-laws that I just HAD to share it here. 

On the outside it says, "For a special daughter-in-law," with the subtitle being, "The Gift of Family."  The rest of the poem, written by Amanda Bradley reads like this:

One of the greatest gifts that life can give to anyone

Is the very special love that families share.

As years go by, it's good to know that there will always be,

Certain people in our lives who care.

For there are countless things that only families have in common,

And memories that no one else can make.

And these precious ties that bind a family together

Are bonds that time and distance cannot break.

How fortunate we are when we have

Relatives who love us;

It makes the world a happy place to be.

Few gifts in life will last as long

Or touch the heart as deeply

As the very special gift of family!


On the inside of the card are found these words.

You've added to our family life
 in such a special way.

That you deserve an extra share
 of happiness today.

And so this brings warm wishes
on this once-a-year occasion

For someone who deserves
a very special celebration!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

and it was signed, "Mom & Dad B."

That made my day and the wonderful feast of turkey and stuffing... was awesome too. 

When we came home, the children went into Cora's room to stuff things in a whole array of lovely gift bags the likes I've never seen before.  What was in the birthday bags? I can hear you thinking.  Well let me see.

I received from Cora an adorable snowman plaque which says, "Families are forever because love never melts."  She also blessed me with some lovely hair clips; some folders for my business; what we used to call Dickie's but much prettier with LACE even; laminator pouches; some adorable note cards; a book of Amish proverbs; a couple of CDs to help myself and other's with healing from grief and another for finding strength in the midst of cancer, and a birthday cake. ;)  You can ask Cora what was special about that.

From Jacob I received a brand new bathroom scale.  Yes, I had said that I would like one as ours is totally undependable.  It's time to start taking this problem seriously and now I have new hope in the book I just found called, "The Virgin Diet."  Anyone tried it?

Andrew gave me the silliest game in the world but one, I hope, which will help me to get over more of my money hatred.  It's called, "Last Will."

Robert had a clever idea and he sold our class rings and laid $144 into my hand for something that was just laying around.  I'm going to buy the beautiful pearls at VibesUp and some bracelets to sell unless I find something else that I cannot resist.  :)

After a full day of feasting, I couldn't get to sleep with such a full belly so I saw 2:30 this morning.  Maybe I was just too excited to be so loved by my incredible family AND my in-laws.

Just in case anyone was wondering, there was not a word from my father--again.  However, my brother Russell ho-ho-hoed his way into our hearts.  It's nice to have SOME little bit of family.  sigh.

Cora also gave me 2 DVDs with Christmas movies so we watched them both seeing as it was Christmas day.  I liked them both but I especially liked, "The Christmas Card," but then I always love to see how God brings sweethearts together.  This one was from opposite sides of the world so it was special.

  The other big news here is that we're buying 40 2 year old cows so, as usual, there's much work to be done.  I love it, though, as idle hands are the devil's playground.  I reckon that one day of being idle won't ruin me too much.  It's the bathroom scale that's got me thinking now but I will have to write about that later.

Before I close, I'll share the lovely card which Robert gave to me yesterday.  The first page says, "For a wife who does it all--A loving birthday message.

Life moves so fast;
in so many directions,
and you have so many roles to play,
you must feel like
there's never enough of YOU
to go around.....

On your birthday,
I just want to tell you
what a remarkable job you do.
You're an amazing woman
and a wonderful wife,
and I'm an awfully lucky guy
to have you!

Happy birthday with love,

Robert

This blessing, hand written, was on the back of the card.

As you move into new horizons of your life, you and your love will only
expand to meet the needs of those precious to you.

Proud of you,

Love,

Robert

When I saw the, "Proud of you" part, my heart melted with joy.  I don't know if anyone has ever told me that they are proud of me.  They probably did but I wasn't in the receiving mode but yesterday I was!!!

Robert is proud of me!!!  YIPPEE!!!

Love to all is I head back to work!

Dawn




No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...