Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Prayers for our Veterans

I grew up on a farm and I married a farmer.  I know nothing of the life of our military folk.  My brother was in the Air Force during the Vietnam War, though, so I know a little bit about what he went through.  I know that there was such a stigma against that war that my brother was in the midst of it all and I WASN'T EVEN TOLD THAT HE WAS THERE!!!  My parents didn't think I needed to know!  HOW ABSURD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I could have been praying for his safety.

 Both my father and my father-in-law served during the Korean War and I've heard stories about life during war time.

My father-in-law was leaving Korea, as his term was over, and he was going home.  On the way out to the airfield, their jeep was hit by a grenade and all but he died!!  Yes, I know a little of what our military goes through from second hand stories and tears rolling down faces!

Robert and I watched MASH daily as newlyweds so that broadened our understanding of what happens to military folks as they face death on a daily basis.  Even those who aren't overseas are in danger as they maintain order here.  I'm afraid that's becoming a larger and larger job as the idiocy grows here in the good old USA.

I don't even pretend to grasp what it's like for those who risk their lives to protect ours!!  What a thankless task.  Only God can reward them adequately.  Only God can be with them constantly and speak peace and comfort and direction!

Let's all pray for our military personnel every day!!  It's the least we can do for those who protect us with their own lives!!

God bless all who served our country in all branches past, present, and future!

Dawn

PS  I'll always remember singing in a patriotic concert at Linton in the park when a group of Senior campers came through.  When we sang this medley, we asked those in the group who served our country to stand when they heard their song.  The men jumped to their feet and stood there tall and proud saluting the flag as though they were still in their 20s.  Many were crying tears of joy for those who returned and tears of sadness for those who didn't.  What an amazing moment to be a part of.  I love my country so much.  It was an honor to sing for those who risked death to defend it!!

No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...