Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Remembering Harris today

Today is a bummer day. I know that I'm shooting myself in the foot with this attitude but it's true--today is a bummer day. Today is the day that they're selling all of Harris and Shirley's farm equipment and tools. Some of you may recall my writing that Harris is the closest thing to a dad that I've ever had, seeing as mine is obsessed with his money no matter how many times I've shown him Scrooge when he's here. ): God gave me a father substitute in Harris Kinzler and then He took Harris away last June in a tragic farm accident. I've never really understood what was the sense of taking away my friend/father substitute at the mere age of 66. I guess it's something that I'll have to take up with God when I see Him later.


I tried. I really tried to think about going to the sale but my stomach tied up in knots every time I went there in my mind. Finally my family just said that I could stay at home if it would distress me so much to go and see Harris's life work auctioned off to the highest bidder. Harris and Shirley both worked very hard. I'm enclosing the link so that you can see what they all built up in his lifetime. http://www.steffesauctioneers.com/. Go under Harris and Shirley Kinzler and look at the slide show at the bottom of the sale bill.



The sad part is that they never had a son to take over the operation. I guess we always knew that someday there would be an auction sale, but not for at least 10 years. Why is it that we never are prepared for the death of a loved one? We all know that we are but dust on the earth and yet, when death comes and takes away somebody that we love, we're shocked.



I wish that I had something cheerful or brilliant to say, but it's just a bummer day. If there was anything worth saying, it would be that I loved Harris Kinzler. I'm VERY thankful that he counted me as one of his friends. I'm very thankful for the years that we had together in the Alfred church; at their farm; or here. Harris just was unforgettable in his friendly way; in the way that he shared his wisdom; in his strength of character; in his encouragement to keep fighting the good fight; and in his incredible work ethic. The church dedicated it's 75th anniversary celebration to Harris as it was held the day after his funeral. If Andrew were here, I'd post the tribute that the church made to Harris but I can't seem to get this thing to do what I want it to do.

Best go soak.

No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...