Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Home away from home

This is the first thing that I saw when Gloria opened the door to show us our home away from home on Friday night, July 30th. I spent quite a bit of time in this kitchenette and enjoyed every minute here, except for one.

You may recall that, before Jacob and I went outside to explore our surroundings, I had put a frozen cheese pizza (with smoked turkey that I'd cut on top of it) into the cute, little oven of "My" kitchen. Well, you must imagine my surprise when I looked at it 40 minutes later. To be honest, I happen to like things a bit on the burnt side, but even I was dismayed by what I saw.

The whole thing was VERY dried up and VERY dark and not one bit appetizing. Jacob, the good sport that he is, though, said, "Ah come on and let's eat it. I don't want to wait another 40 minutes." So we chomped on the thing quite awhile and talked over the day's excitement.

As it turned out, it was a good thing that we didn't decide to try our hand at another one because the results would have been the same. You see, the next morning while Jacob was snooping through the cupboards for a can opener, he found a note which read, "Oven runs 60 degrees higher than the control knob indicates--use the thermometer in the oven instead."

OOPS!!! I had seen that thermometer but just pushed it to the back of the oven when I was sliding the pizza into it. SIXTY DEGREES OFF!!!!!!! Now if it was MY oven, I think that I would have taped that note on the silly thing for people who don't go snooping through all of the drawers before using the oven. :)

Well, this was my kitchen for 6 days and Jacob and I have lots of fond memories of preparing our meals here.

This was half of the living room. It had everything that anyone could want by way of comforts. The only thing that it lacked, as far as I'm concerned, is a piano. Can you believe that I went 6 whole days without playing piano? Oh well, we were busy all the time anyway.

This was my bedroom. I know that we're not supposed to love things but I greatly admired that sweet, little corner table with the lamp on it. WOW--was that ever a lovely piece of furniture! I had the windows open every moment that I possibly could and the scent of pine filled the place--it was just awesome.

There was an adjoining bathroom where I soaked for hours. I made herbal teas to help my body deal with jet lag and tired neck after 9 hours of class every day. I have a special muslin bag where I put the herbs in. As the tub fills, all you have to do is tie the bag to the buthtub spout and as the hot water runs through the herbs, it makes a bathtub size herbal tea. I used alfalfa, the mints, and chamomile depending on which one I was needing most as determined through biofeedback.

Jacob met this young man shortly after we moved in. His name was Logan and he made life interesting for all of us. Here he was telling me that he and Jacob were going on a bear hunt. I told Jacob that I wanted him to find a stick to take along too in case they ended up face to face with a bear on the Chisholm Trail which Grandpa Larry had designed for the daring of heart.
This picture I took right outside of our kitchen window so the playground was close by to our place but alas, my little boy was not even interested. :)

Now, checking for Wi-Fi connections IS something that Jacob was interested in. The owner, Gloria, had said that sometimes it didn't come in very well down in the lower rooms and she was right. It didn't matter, though, as by the next day, Andrew's laptop had quit on us due to the heat. That's a long story that you'd do best to ask Andrew or Jacob about. The point here is that we didn't have Internet connection and had to bug the people at KRT so that we could check our emails from time to time. They are such wonderful people and didn't mind at all! :)

Well, shortly after we'd gummed through the tough pizza, we went up to the parking lot and called home. It was a short call, though, as we were both pretty tired. Jacob and I did sit on this couch and have a short prayer time together and then we both crawled into our beds.
I think that is the most tired that I can ever recall being. We had been on the move for 18 hours and I know that I didn't spend time analyzing how I liked the bed. The next thing I knew, Jacob was knocking on my door.
When I peeled open my eyes, there was light shining behind the heavy drapes. Jacob said softly, "Mom. MOM--it's time to get up. It's 9:30 already." WOW--I had slept wonderfully there at the Inn under the huge evergreens as the waterfall gushed by our new home.
Leave it to youth--Jacob was up; dressed for Sabbath; and ready to go for a romp in the woods. Of course he didn't like it much when I told him that I wouldn't take him over to KRT if he didn't shower first. He got dressed twice that morning but, with an exciting day as that one turned out to be, I guess getting dressed twice made it just all that more unusual. More on that special Sabbath later!
Best get back to these apples,
Dawn





1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I, too, love the smell of pines. I could easily live in the Black Hills. I think it is my favorite place I have ever been to. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to the rest of the story.

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...