Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Two Miracles

As Cora has mentioned on her blog, we are pushing hard to get 360 acres harvested; the ground worked; the drill filled with a special mix of cover crop seeds; and then the ground seeded before September 20th--which was yesterday. As Cora mentioned, the rainy weather has caused lots of problems for us as the 20th approached quickly and tensions mounted around here.

Then late last Friday, as I pushed hard to get the 50 acre field disked up for seeding, it started snowing. Yes that's right, I said, "SNOWING". I was so distraught as I knew that this spelled the end of our goal being met. Further, my heart sank as I thought of all of our wonderful tomatoes back home in our garden meeting their end under snowbanks. ):

I called Cora quick (we were working 30 miles away) to check if it was snowing at home too, hoping that it wasn't. When she said that it was, gloom settled on my heart which is unusual for a Friday night. I love Friday nights, as it is the start of the Sabbath, and it is the night that our family feasts on the feast of Sabbath in our freshly cleaned home.

Well, the gloom continued all weekend with the damp weather although the snow melted off quicly. Yesterday morning we all gave up hope with 2 fields left to do the whole process on--there was no way that we would meet our goals. When I was on the phone with one of my clients, though, she encouraged me. She said, "It'll work out somehow, you just wait and see." I wanted to believe her, but it was just too dark for me to see that at the time.

Then we went out to the garden to pick the tomatoes. On Sabbath I had gone to the garden as soon as chores were over and found that the tomatoes were NOT frozen. I will not ever be able to understand how the Lord sent snow but preserved delicate tomatoes. It's nothing short of a miracle! PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yesterday, because it was too wet to combine, Andrew was doing the disking and I had time to work on my harvest. As Cora, Jacob, and I picked the vine-ripened tomatoes, I marveled at the goodness of God to us. I didn't loose my tomatoes after all--certainly He would make a way for us to meet our deadline! I kept praying for Him to move their hearts to give us an extension on the deadline as considerable money is involved.

After we picked the tomatoes, onions, peppers, and the rest of the apples that had fallen off of the trees, I came into the house and called Robert. That was when he told me that he had talked to someone in the NRCS office and that they had given us a FIVE DAY EXTENSION! PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now for the nice weather to proceed with the work. I covet your prayers for this. Also I covet your prayers for my office day today. I have 2 brand new clients coming in PLUS some of my favorite "Old" ones. It'll be a busy day, and I REALLY need to get moving here, but I just HAD to share the 2 miracles that the Lord blessed us with recently. Being a child of God, and experiencing His miracles on a daily basis, is the most wonderful way to live. I HIGHLY recommend it to all. :)

Hugs to all of my faithful friends out there. Please forgive my heavy post last time, but hopefully you can understand better now why my heart was so burdened. I love you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawn

3 comments:

Tamera said...

God is good, isn't He?

Kimberly said...

I am so glad that your tomatoes didn't freeze. That truly is a miracle! Also, how great that you got an extension. I pray for dry weather so you can meet it.

Here, I was hoping that my tomatoes would freeze so I wouldn't have to process them. But they didn't. I hate to do it, and am trying not to feel guilty about it, but I think I am just going to pull up the plants. I've already made over 60 pints of salsa, 4 batches of that delicious tomato soup, and plenty of sauce. I've got 5 buckets ripening in the basement yet to do. I am just feeling so tired and I want to be done.

Whitney and registered for the October 3rd access class!! I am looking forward to it.

Looking forward to seeing you this Sabbath.

Anonymous said...

Dear friends,
Thanks for your comments. I can certainly understand getting tired of working with produce after awhile.
I am THRILLED that you and Whitney will take Elizabeth's Access class. It will be a day in your life that will always shine as an incredible time. I may be there with the Napoleon ladies if they decide to go.
Can hardly wait for Harvest of Thanks on Sabbath!!!
Dawn

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...