Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Still ugly?

I was just telling Jacob how some people make me feel ugly. 

It's been so many years since I heard, "You're so stupid, fat, and ugly that no man will ever love you," but those words still haunt me.  I was telling my son how Janice Ian released, "At 17" when I was 17 years old.  I was trying to tell him how this pretty cheerleader, who lived up the street from me, just drove by with the boy that I had loved for so long I had forgotten when it began. 

I still recall how wretched I was feeling as I sat in my car at the drive-in eating an ice cream cone with my best friend, Glenda, sitting beside me.  She knew how I felt about, "Him" and how I felt when I saw, "Them" together.  The tears were already rolling when I heard Janice Ian's song for the very first time.

I can't ever recall relating so strongly to a song.  In fact, as Jacob and I listened right now, the tears started pouring down my face again.  How truly wretched it is to know inside that you're the ugliest person in the world--to know that, "Truth" down to your blood and bones.

I've been working on the incest for 24 years now but I still feel ugly at times--stupid and fat too.  There are some people whose attitude makes me feel ugly just being around them.  They MUST have been cheerleaders--the kind that the boys liked to take out every weekend.  They certainly were NOT the kind of girls who sat at home pretending to be loved--inventing lovers on the phone....

Here it is folks--the song that still rocks my boat after 37 years.  The interesting thing is that, as I watched Janice singing, I kept looking for the ugly in her but found NONE!!!  I wonder what the ramifications are for me in that concept?????????????????????????????????  HMMMMM!



2 comments:

The K. Family said...

Mrs. Bornemann, I only met you one time but I think you are a very lovely looking lady, friendly, and one that has a heart for God. Please don't ever feel ugly!! You aren't!! I used to feel that way in high school with all the pretty girls around but now the tables have turned and most of the girls that once were pretty look hard, bitter, and miserable with their broken marriages and children who hate them. Most are way, way heavier than they were then! How much better to have the joy of the Lord in our faces which brings really beauty! God put some of us in families that really knew how to eat and in situations where stress made us eat as well. I know he understands and while he expects us to do our best, and not blame things on our past and others, he delights in us just the way we are when our hearts are right with him and he sees us through the eyes of Jesus who saved us. God delights in you, Mrs. Bornemann!! And I know your kids do as well! (I'm sure your husband does but I don't know him :) It really doesn't matter what others think as long as we have families that love us and God's delight in us!

Dawn Bornemann said...

Dear sweet Mrs. Kraun,
Thank you so much for your incredibly uplifting words!!!! I know what you mean about the pretty girls in high school not having all of the answers to joy and peace in life. I am totally blessed with my life as it is, but the wounds still bleed at times. I like how you described some families as knowing how to eat and setting us up for the need to eat for pain relief--a deadly combination. You are such a blessing to me today and I pray that our good Heavenly Father blesses you richly in return!!!

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...