Sunday, September 9, 2018

What did you say?

For a number of years I've been crying out to the Lord for respect.  Being my love language is "Words of affirmation," I have a need to be affirmed with words.  Kind words falling on my ears are like rain in a drought.

 I can go on for weeks replaying a few kind words spoken at the time I need to hear them.  I'm sad to say that the opposite--no kind words when I need to hear them--are just as powerful to harm the inner me.  ); 

I've been praying for respect for so long, without any change, that it seems that I've given up hope of it ever happening.  I see some people getting respect while others do not.  What causes this?  What do they have that I don't have?

Recently I was with a group of people and I noticed that everyone was talking but nobody was listening.  People would say something; others would nod; then proceed to change the subject.  Nobody was feeling cared for.  I could see the strain on the faces as they wondered if anyone had even heard them. 

The other day I was on the phone with a lady that I haven't talked to in several years.  We asked about each other's families so I mentioned the recent miscarriage in mine.  She paused, ignored that comment, and went on with what she had been saying before I had taken my turn in the conversation.

WHY DON'T WE LISTEN TO EACH OTHER????????????????????????????????????

I figured that I would find something about this on YouTube if I were to search a bit.  I really liked this video as there is an explanation on why it is so hard for people to listen to each other.  Perhaps it will help you if you would like to have better relationships too.

After listening to this video, I have to wonder if the answer to my question of why I'm not being respected is because I'm not a good listener. It's possible.  This is something that I can certainly try to improve on as I go along.

I liked when he said in the video that one of the reasons that people don't listen well is that they're listening while trying to figure out how best to respond.  That's ME centered.  To truly hear someone we must listen--JUST PLAIN LISTEN!!

I would be happy to hear any of your thoughts on the video if you would like to share them.

Have a great week!

Dawn


No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...