Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Humor

Jacob and I are home together today while the others are out stacking bales about 15 miles from here. After doing my BodyTalk sessions and working on laundry, we began making a nice big batch of beef stock from boiling beef. We're trying to get the old beef used up in preparation for butchering in October. There's nothing like opening a jar of beef stock in the middle of winter to use as the base for soup. By making the stock as recommended in NOURISHING TRADITIONS, the gelatin comes out of the bones and soup made from this stock IS VERY NOURISHING and filling. I have not found any store bought soup broth or base which fills the tummies like this or that tastes so delicious.

While I work on a big project with the children in the kitchen, I like to let them choose a tape or video to listen to help pass the time more pleasantly in their opinion. Most often it makes it pleasant for me too. However, just now Jacob was telling me about a program he found online called "Car Talk."

"It's so great Mom, because they really help people solve their car problems AND they're so funny." "Why not", I thought and agreed to listen. I guess it's safe to say that Jacob's "Funny" and my "Funny" are 2 different things. This experience was anything from what I would term pleasant.

First of all, I do not consider everything that someone says as funny. Therefore I do not think it necessary to burst out laughing at every thing that a caller says. For instance, I don't think it was necessary to break into peals of laughter when one woman said that she had a car that was 20 years old. I happen to think that a man who keeps his older vehicle running well is wise and a good steward. Now take a look at Andrew's "New" pickup. This pickup is 11 years old and it looks almost new. It was proper care that kept it this way and that is not a laughing matter.

To be honest, these guys just really bugged me!!! It got me thinking about how humor can really take a turn for the worse. I guess I could probably write a book on this subject but I'll just throw this out for you to ponder.
I have heard it said that it isn't humor unless it's funny to both parties. These bozos insulted the one woman because her aunt GAVE her this 20 year old car. They mocked another woman because she wasn't sure if she'd need her block heater after just moving to a warmer climate. They also criticized a fellow who didn't know that in summer you should have less air pressure in the tires than in the winter--or at least that's what they said.
I can tell you, these guys would be the last people on earth that I'd ever ask for advice about one of my vehicles. How on earth did they get to be so popular? Are we, as a nation, so warped that we must mock everyone in order to elevate ourselves above them? That is really sick people, in my opinion anyway. So, as a general rule of thumb, remember that if it isn't funny to the person that you're talking to, IT ISN'T FUNNY. If they don't feel good after you said it, maybe you shouldn't have said it. Just maybe you should say, "I'm sorry." Wouldn't that be a nice change?

Any comments?

2 comments:

Tamera said...

I think they're funny. I listen to them almost every week.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tamera,
It was nice to hear from my neighbor this morning! Aren't things crazily busy during harvest time?
It probably was because of all the pain that they "Rubbed me the wrong way." Maybe I'll give them another chance later. I know that it's nice to hear Jacob laughing a lot here lately. :)
Feeling better today,
Dawn

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...