Monday, August 24, 2009

THE LOSS OF ELEGANCE


THE LOSS OF ELEGANCE. Perhaps I will write a book about my feelings on this subject someday. For now, I share only a taste of my thoughts. You see, I have been accused of being melodramatic in my writings, although not recently. I have pondered this accusation seriously, not wishing to exaggerate the truth in any way. However, much of my life HAS indeed been on the dramatic side of things. For instance, it would be difficult for me to make a flippant comment about incest, or miscarriages, or cancer, or definitely not one about shingles.

Over this past weekend, while the boys were away, Cora wisely presented us with the choice of a movie, offered on U Tube, called EMMA. She thought that I would love it and she was right!!! Although Emma's lack of character on one occasion ended up causing her no small sorrow, truth wins out in the end; she confesses her sins; and is cleansed from their power over her. Furthermore, her humility wins her the love of her beloved Mr. Knightly but perhaps I should not have shared that part with you in case you are inclined to take 6 hours watching an old English movie. I cannot recommend it too highly for those who, like me, find yourselves in love with elegance of speech and manners.

Late last night then, as I sat down to send an email to Andrew, I found myself unwilling to part with the beautiful customs of those times. I knew that he would find me "Totally ridiculous" but I couldn't resist and so I sent him the following email.

To my fine young son, Andrew of Kintyre,

It would seem that I'm developing a habit of writing to you at midnight. :) Your family members stayed up and watched the last episode of "Emma" in which Mr. Knightly and Emma finally realize that they are in love with each other. OH HOW WONDERFUL!!! It did seem a bit of a surprise at first, because he is 16 years older than she is, but then one never can tell where love will come from. :) Can you have guessed that the play was written in old English, by any chaunce?

Oh, by the way, young man. Will you please remember to pick us some raspberries before you leave on your return trip? And, oh yes, you MUST remember to thank your good host and hostess immeasurably right before you leave.

I trust that your stay has been to your liking and that you will be refreshed upon your return to this place. I am most eager to see all of the photographs which you have acquired in your absence.

In fondness always,

Your maternal parent


Finding myself in continued good humor along these lines, I sent a copy of this to Cora with these words attached. The journey to which I was referring was, none other than, our trip to the Dagley farm which we both found exceedingly informational and enjoyable. I teased her that the weather was undesirable because Emma's father, in the movie, was constantly overestimating the negative affects of the weather. Yesterday, the weather was exceptionally perfect making the joke even more ridiculous. Cora found it all humorous because I have been somewhat overprotective of my offspring in a similar manner, although not so absurdly to his degrees.

Dear Miss Bornemann,

I thought that, perhaps, you would be entertained by the reading of the following correspondence which I just recently sent to your younger sibling.

I cannot overestimate the pleasure at the journey which we shared today, Miss Bornemann. I bless you immeasurably for being my lovely traveling companion on this outing. I trust that you were also joyful that we made the trip in such dire weather!

Affectionately,

Your maternal parent

This morning I was overjoyed to receive a reply to my correspondence from, none other than, my daughter. I could see that EMMA was still fresh in her memory as well as in mine. I post her reply for your reading enjoyment knowing full well that she would be delighted.

Dear mam,
Thank you very kindly for making the journey today, as I'm sure if you'd thought real hard, you could have come up with some reason why the weather was not absolutely favorable for an excursion. :) I'm glad you're not THAT concerned about the correlation between weather and health!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I recall that, it is good for ones' health to meet with your pillow at an early hour, so I must truly be going, although early it most definitely is not.

I agree, today was truly excellent.

Farewell~

Signed--Miss Bornemann

Some small part of me will ALWAYS long for the romantic period when men were gentlemen and women were ladies and you could easily tell the two apart. If I may make one small dent in the world with my existence, I would have it be that the sexes would again draw their distinctions and find the joy in the obvious differences. For in only this fashion, have all of the needs been met and all of the hearts found their joy in a simple walk with a friend.

I will add that I had such a joy yesterday afternoon as I found myself helped over the rocks in the Dagley stream by my old friend, Steven Schadler. It was MOST agreeable to me and he didn't seem to mind in the least. So I see, therefore, that my desire is not only for a return of refinement in manners and speech between spouses, but between ALL gentlemen and ladies whenever and wherever they should happen to meet. AS IT WAS ONCE, MAY IT BE SO AGAIN UPON THE EARTH.


2 comments:

Tamera said...

If you liked Emma, you'll have to see if you can find Sense and Sensibility and/or Pride and Prejudice. There were written by the same author (I'm sure you know, Jane Austin) and are written in the same style. VERY FUN!

I find myself thinking in Old English for a while after, lol. AND, I have already hooked my daughters as well, lol.

Kimberly said...

I like the post. Cute picture. Where do you find them?

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...