Friday, August 7, 2009

A Little Humor

You may recall that friends of our, the Ron Stover family, got us started reading Balentine's books. The first one we read was called, ERLING THE BOLD. It was a tremendously interesting read. I just finished reading DIGGING FOR GOLD to the family while they ate their suppers and I drank my lemonade. It was a much shorter book than Erling was, so it wasn't as "DEEP" as I like a book to go, but still good. It made the reader understand, in no uncertain terms, that friendship is far to be preferred to gold.

Well, we were having supper and I was reading the list of 120 books Mr. Balentine has written. I asked everyone to say which book sounded most appealing to them. I read about 25 titles and someone grunted approval at one. The next 25 brought about another grunt of approval from someone as they ate hungrily. I kept reading the titles and there were mild nods of approval at one or the other, but no consensus on any one.

I was just wondering how on earth we were ever going to decide which book to read next. I was nearing the end of the list when I read the words, THE WALRUS HUNTERS. All of a sudden all 3 children stopped eating and proclaimed firmly, THE WALRUS HUNTERS. All 3 at the very same instant said the name of this book.

Robert and I looked at each other and then at them and then all 5 of us broke out into laughter. Why on earth THE WALRUS HUNTERS was appealing to all of them right now I'll never know. So it is THE WALRUS HUNTERS and I began last night at supper with chapter 1 in which an Eskimo and an Indian meet and part in peace. It was interesting to see what happens when 2 very different cultures rub shoulders. I'll keep you informed as we go along as to what moral lesson Mr. Balentine is getting at in THE WALRUS HUNTERS.

To the work of preparing for the Feast of Sabbath tonight. :) Ever since we read A DOOR IN THE WALL, where they refer to Christmas as the Feast of Christmas, I like to call our splendid Friday night supper THE FEAST OF SABBATH. Doesn't it sound grand?

No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...