Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Home school convention

For as long as the children can remember, we've gone to the home school convention every Spring.  For about the first 10 years or so, that was the only fellowship that we had with other home schoolers.  Now we have the home school convention AND Prairie Days.  Being we have become more politically active, this too has brought us contact with other home school families.  In this picture, you can see Andrew visiting with the young man in front of his booth whom Andrew met at the Minot Appleseed Shoot, which is yet another way that we've met folks.  This young man's name is Jessie and he's a Rifleman already--which means that he is a VERY good shot. 

I told Jessie that I'm going to make it to Rifle woman some year and that maybe I'd try again at the one in Minot at the end of April.  He said that he's planning on doing some videoing for the Appleseed Program and I said that then I'll try for Rifle woman at another shoot.  Good grief, it's hard enough to be modest in dresses at a shoot without being FILMED!  He was a nice young man and that's his sister beside him.

Andrew was in charge of selling convention CDs and MP3 downloads this year.  During the slow time, when I was helping in another booth, I heard Andrew playing his banjo.  Somehow, it didn't seem out of place at all--in fact, it sounded kind of home schoolish.  ;)
Our friends, the Chris Stevens family, invited us to stay with them overnight on Friday and Saturday nights.  This saved the wear and tear that driving back and forth would have caused AND the hotel expense.  This is such a special family and I hope that all of you will get to know them as Chris serves as the North Dakota Field Coordinator for the John Birch Society.  Here Cora is with Liberty and Victoria.  How she enjoys spending time with girls!
                                      
This is Mrs. Stevens and the best cook that I have ever met!!!  I am serious, folks, you should taste her home-made pizza--FOUR DIFFERENT KINDS!!!  Thank you, Mirella, for all of the time that you put into making such wonderful food for us while we were in your home!!!  She even let me flake my own oat groats which was THE best oatmeal in the world--freshly flaked--oh my!

Here is little Pristine who truly IS very shy.  Cora told me, though, that after sitting by her for a few meals, those little legs reached out and grabbed Cora's leg several times just to make sure that Cora knew that she was loved.  ;)
Chris and Mirella (pronounced ME Rell A) also have a bright son named Titus.  He and Jacob took on each other in chess.  I was so happy for Jacob because he is forever begging someone to play chess with him.

Pristine isn't shy with her papa.  :)
On Friday night came my very favorite event of the year--the talent show.  I met this woman on Saturday and found her to be a true kindred spirit.  She also sang in the choir and has an awesome voice!

This woman's brother was one of the speakers at the convention.  I was VERY happy that he persuaded her to play her violin for us--it was just heavenly!
This is the Devil's Lake home school group choir.  They are directed by Lori Neinhous whom we know through the Alfred church.  What an awesome choir they'll have in a few years if they keep it up!


Now these are the moms from the Devil's Lake area and are they every good.  It is very hard for me not to salivate when I hear good singing like this.  I did get to sing, though, in the home school choir on Saturday morning but, alas, I have no picture of it because all of us with cameras were all singing in it.  I hope that Andrew posts this song to You tube as it was phenomenal!!!

Of course, one of the best parts of the convention is seeing all of the sweet babies.  During the talent show we sat behind this man who held his little one the whole hour and a half.  She never stirred and it brought back memories of Cora in Robert's arms.

I got this of Cora and Andrew as they watched the families share their talents to bless us all.  This has long been a family favorite.  You'd think that some day I'd be able to talk them into sharing as a family at the convention, wouldn't you?
Then, Cora got this one of Jacob and I.  You know, it used to bother me that I came from the family with the biggest noses in all of Eureka.  My brother they called, Hawk, because his nose got broken in a baseball game.  It doesn't bother me anymore as there's not a thing in the world that I can do except pay someone to surgically change it and I have lots better things to do with my money than THAT!  Besides, I raised 3 children who love me--big nose and all--and that's what matters.

Of course, as much as I love watching parents with their children when they're little, I REALLY like watching parents with good relationships into adulthood. What a beautiful tribute to this mother that her 30 year old son said, "Yes," when she asked him to play a couple of songs with her.  TOTALLY COOL!

                                     
Jacob was videoing our choir practice on Friday night when I looked up and saw his head close to Josiah G.  Those two were babies together--now look at them.

Here's Cora with her dear Geiger friend.  Miranda surprised Cora with a large basket of goodies in honor of Cora's 25th birthday a few weeks back.  There were treats for Cora to eat; some for her to smell; and even one for her car to smell good--when it's ready to hit the road.  We love you Miranda!!
It wouldn't be a complete summary of the convention without mentioning that Cora and I had a ball helping the Geiger family prepare for their 2 main meals--over the noon hour.  I am happy to say that we donated the potatoes for the hot meal on Friday which was just wonderful.  The Geigers are so incredible to take on preparing ALL of the food for the convention attendees.  Praise God for this awesome family!
Cora and I left for home around 6:00 on Saturday to help Robert finish up chores.  The boys stayed and helped people pack up and they enjoyed the potluck that night.  Thanks, ladies, for sharing your left-overs with my hungry boys.

It was a wonderful get-away and I want to publicly thank Robert for doing the chores 5 times by yourself so that we could spend some time with others who love the Lord and serve Him by home schooling their children.

Did I say that I may have persuaded the fellow at the filling station in Jamestown to home school next year?  I was just so excited that it showed so we'll be looking for him next year.  How about you?  Did you ever think about home schooling your precious gifts from God?  Hat's off to those of you who do!!

God bless all who love the Lord,

Dawn

No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...