Sunday, April 4, 2010

Moving Day

Yesterday we spent the afternoon helping Robert's parents move into this building called Library Square in Mandan, ND. This was after we got the chores done; the bull chased in; the new calves tagged; lunch eaten; and church finished on our one hour trip up there.
Here our family is ready to go to work. The snow was melting like mad and Andrew enjoyed standing in the little stream that was rushing down the gutters.

It ended up that we weren't able to get into the building. When we tried calling my in-laws on the intercom, the message we received was that the number was disconnected. The office didn't answer, as it was the weekend, and neither Robert nor I had my in-law's cell numbers in our cell phones. Here I sat and did my cortices instead of getting upset. We went back to the car and rested while waiting for someone from the family to come and let us in. It ended up being Uncle Yatsin who rescued us and put us to work. :)
This is a view from their living room window down to the street. Their apartment # is 405 and it really is quite nice.

This is the nice window in the living room. The plants just settled right in. :)

Being we had had a busy morning, we weren't there right away. As a result, most of the large furniture had already been brought up by Robert's 2 brothers and their families. With us, there were 15 people hauling stuff in to the apartment and trying to help find new homes for things.
This is Robert's brother, Barry; his other brother's wife, Bev; his Aunt Donna (a fellow BodyTalker); and his mom kneeling down.
The very first job I had was unloading the coolers into the freezer and refrigerator. Marly had said, "Just put whatever meat doesn't fit into one cooler and we'll take it over to Verna's." Verna is Earl's sister who lives up there. Later, when she asked me how much was left out, I told her that I got it all in. She was so amazed and I asked her, "Do I get a prize now?" Everyone laughed. I guess that I must have learned something about packing after having lived with Robert for 30 years--he is a GREAT packer.
Anyway, Robert snapped this picture of me while I was on the floor unpacking the coolers and trying to figure out how Marly would want her refrigerator arranged. I hope that she can find everything that she needs sometime this week. :)
We women went to work putting things away while the men continued bringing in the rest of the furniture and boxes. This is my niece, Darby, who came with her dad, Barry, all the way from Aberdeen, SD to help with the unpacking. Darby has always been a special person to me, so it was nice to get to see her for a LITTLE while.
Question: How many Germans does it take to hang a shower curtain?
When I asked this question, Marly, Donna, & Bev all cracked up and I said, "THREE."

Then they turned it around and said, "Four because one of them has to take the picture." :)

What a gorgeous bathroom Earl and Marly have now. We could fit 3 of ours in theirs. I told Marly (my mother-in-law) that I'm trying hard not to covet her bathroom, but she just chuckled.

Here my brother-in-law, Ron, and his son, Jason, were bringing in the brand new hutch. Marly's hutch in the Eureka house was built in so she needed a place to keep her special glassware.
Robert helped move it to it's final location. I wondered why he was standing in the corner. :) For
over 30 years now, I have loved the twinkle in his hazel, mischievous eyes.

Jacob was the official doorman while the last of the boxes and stuff was carried in. Then I put him to work with his Gerber cutting the tape on ALL of the boxes so that we could start to unpack them. He helped with other things like putting Grandma's spices turntables back together again. Here Andrew dropped in to see if he needed any help and Aunt Donna seems intent on making sure that it's done right. :)
Cora's big job, (I helped a little too when I wasn't' doing other things) was to cut the shelf liner and fit it into ALL of the cabinets and drawers. She worked at it most of the afternoon. If you notice her hair clip, it was in the box of old jewelry that we inherited last week when we were down in Eureka helping to thin out Earl and Marly's STUFF. It looked so lovely in her gorgeous, auburn hair.

After Cora got the shelf liner in, we ladies started putting things in the drawers. I'm not sure why, but I just love pretty towels. I was glad that this job fell to me. Of course, just as I sat down on the floor (my head still hurts if I look down too long), Robert said, "Dawn, can you move?"
Andrew and Robert were asked to get the desk out of the way. The trouble was that I was in THEIR way. Lots of that went on around there yesterday.
FINALLY all of the big furniture was in place; most of the boxes were in their proper rooms for emptying later; and we realized that we were HUNGRY. When we ladies were getting supper ready, Cora realized that the microwave didn't work. She tried; I tried; Bev tried; ANDREW EVEN TRIED, but we could not get it to start up. At supper, the men were teasing Earl that at least he doesn't have to pay for the repairs to it. I can see where that will be a blessing to him, as he begins dialysis this week, and that is enough for anyone to have to deal with. Truthfully, he did not look well at all yesterday so we are all relieved that the move is complete and they can start to focus on his health care needs. How I long to help him with BodyTalk, but he is not willing, and I am learning to accept it.

After supper, it was decided that the hutch needed to be moved just a tad to the right--no that was 2 tads, so now 1 tad to the left--goodness no, that was a Tish to much so back to the right again just a hair or two. GOOD--right there, but OH it's still not right. What can the matter be now. I'VE GOT IT--IT'S NOT LEVEL!!!!!
That was when we all suddenly realized that it was time for the Robert Bornemann family to head home for chores. Here Andrew was telling his Grandma Marly "It was nothing," when we all know that we could never have gotten all that we got done without his help. All 15 of us children and grandchildren were working ALMOST constantly so all who helped deserve a big round of applause--look for that at the end of this post.
Here the group was STILL trying to decide how to right the hutch. Earl is seated. Cora, Marly, Donna and her husband, Yatsin are all involved in the debate.
Here "My" Robert is checking with his precious mother if "All is well." How could she not be pleased with her family who all pulled together so beautifully to make the move possible. Still, all of us knew that the reason for the move is so that her husband can begin kidney dialysis. Just know that ALL of us would appreciate soooooooo much if you would cover them both with your prayers this week. Making all of the arrangements was a big stress and now the dialysis lies before them. I pray that God will bless you all richly who uphold our family and extended families in your prayers!

Here are the names of the family members who helped with the move. I'm starting with Robert's oldest brother, Barry, as he is the oldest. He brought his second daughter, Darby, and she brought her husband, Justin all the way from Aberdeen, SD. It must have been close to a 4 hour drive for them--ONE WAY! That was 3 movers.
The Robert brought me and our 3 children so that made 8 movers.
Robert's youngest brother, Ron, was their with his wife, Bev. Their children, Jason and Valarie, were there. Val's friend, Adam, helped too and they all came from Fargo. With this family we had 5 more movers so that made 13 people helping.
Then Marly's youngest sister, Donna, came and brought her husband, Yatsin. They live in Center, ND which is about half an hour NorthWest of Bismarck. They've been close friends with Earl and Marly for decades so it was great that they will be closer together now. With Yatsin and Donna, we had FIFTEEN movers yesterday.
It was so nice to see how everyone pulled together. Once I was in the elevator with these people whom I hardly ever see. I knew that we'd be in there at least 5 minutes so I looked around for something to talk about. I noticed that there was a little bulletin board on the back wall of the elevator.
I said, "Do you suppose we should leave them a note on this bulletin board so that it doesn't look so bare?"
They looked at it but didn't say anything so I was still in the hot seat.
I said, "Maybe we could say, 'Your elevator is soooo slow."
Then everyone cracked up and my nephew, Jason said, "When I was holding some of those heavy boxes, I was very glad for the rest that I got in here."
I laughed and the ice was broken. The young men proceeded to tell Cora and I how they shoved the king size mattress in the elevator and tried to fit themselves in with it too. All too soon, the elevator opened and we ushered out of it and went back to work.
OH THAT FAMILIES WOULD HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER AGAIN, LIKE THEY DID IN THE "GOOD OLD DAYS"! I WONDER WHAT MIRACLES WOULD HAPPEN THEN???
Well, I'm tired so I'm going to rest. I just wanted you all to see the apartment that we'll be going to now when we go to see Robert's parents. I just "LOVED" the French doors but had to comment to Darby that I wondered why they put them on the GUEST BEDROOM. I mean I love seeing through French doors, but most people prefer to get dressed in a bedroom with doors that you CAN'T see through. :)
Thanks for your prayers! May God bless you richly for coming here and checking up on me from time to time. It is so nice to know that there still are a few people in the world who haven't forgotten me after I dropped out of society nearly 4 years ago to try to recover my health. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Spring,
Dawn
PS. I counted 32 tulips out of the ground this morning! We planted 100 last Fall so Cora and I keep checking every day now that the flower bed is no longer covered in SNOW!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many hands make light work... you'll never regret your time spent.

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...