Monday, July 12, 2010

Dad's Auction Sale/July 11th, 2010

Yesterday was Sunday, July 11, 2010. It was the day that almost all of the possessions that my parent's had accumulated, over the past 50+ years of marriage, was sold at public auction. God certainly out-did Himself in the way He answered our prayers for "Perfect" weather for the sale. It was one of the most beautiful days that I have ever experienced. PTL!

The day started early as we got up at 4:30 to do our chores before we left. Jacob had been fighting a cold and Andrew got it just the night before. Both boys stayed at home so that they wouldn't be miserable all day and spread their germs. I missed them both but knew that the Lord had things all planned out for me NOT to get stressed, so I just prayed for them and we took off around 5:45. We needed to be there by 7:00, as that was when the guys were coming to help us empty out the house and Quonset. We arrived at 7:05, so that was pretty close. :)

Duard had asked some of his friends to come over and help us get the stuff put out and my dad's neighbor, Perry, was there too. I was amazed how quickly the work was accomplished and by 10:00 things were all finished.

Knowing that the sale wouldn't start for another 2 hours, and that it would be a long day, I decided to rest a bit. I went into my childhood bedroom, now completely empty, and sprawled out on the floor. It was pretty hard but I was pretty tired and I fell asleep. Later I woke up with tingling arms so I went and sat in the corner and slept again. I wonder how many years it's been since I slept in that room One thing is certain--it won't ever happen again.

I'm glad that I had the chance to have that time in my old bedroom as many memories flooded my mind then. It was comforting to know that they weren't ALL bad. Here it is, folks--the room that I lived in from the time that I was 11 years old until my wedding day at age 22. Of course, 4 of those years I spent at South Dakota State University getting my degree in sociology and law enforcement. Even then, though, I spent my summers here until on October 10, 1980 I married Robert Bornemann and ceased to be Dawn Delzer who was the girl who lived here.

The front yard with the furniture from the upstairs--living room; kitchen/dining room; bathroom, and bedrooms.

The back yard filling up with things from the basement. There is a door in the recreation room so that made it nice to take things out easily. This stuff was from the rec room; furnace room; cellar; bedroom; and summer kitchen. That's Robert on the lower left carrying out a crock from the cellar.

Cora, God bless her, went around and swept the floor as the house emptied. People were free to go through the house if they were interested in buying it and she wanted it as clean as possible. She likes nice and fresh here yet.

Our work crew of 8 guys. I missed my boys in this picture but they were better off at home.

Carrying out the little hoop house that Dad had made to keep the birds out of the strawberries. It brought three whole dollars. ):
I asked them not to take Mom's piano outside as it just would not be good for it to sit outside in the sun all day. We left it in the dining room so that, if anyone was interested, they wouldn't have to walk on the carpet all the way into the living room. It's interesting how the piano story unfolded throughout the day.

The front yard.

After my snooze in my room, I felt better. My former neighbor lady, my second mother for many years, dropped by to give me a hug. She had to leave town that day but wanted me to know that she was thinking about me that day. I'll always remember the hug that she gave to me before she left. This is Lee with me.

Ready for the sale and now waiting, this is my sister-in-law, Sharel. She is married to my second brother, Duard, and they live a few blocks from here. She introduced us to her friend, Doug, who served a constant source of delight to me all day--his humor being just what I needed. I rejoiced to watch the Lord bringing people to cheer me just when I needed them. Is He awesome or what?

There were 4 of these trailers piled high with things just waiting to go to new homes.

Folks started coming to snoop around 11:00. I didn't really want to be outside then as I didn't want them to think I was snooping at them. People like to go early to a sale to look through the hundreds of boxes and find the ones that they intend to bid on. I went inside then and took pictures of the whole house which I'll post in a separate post.

We even had a chuck wagon and we bought bar-b-ques; chips; and wonderfully fattening bars for a treat. When we tried to decide where to eat, Robert said, "How about if we eat one last meal at the table." Cora and I giggled and that's just what we did. We ate our lunch right outside in front of dad's house. Lots of cars passed by and we just chuckled--OH FOR SILLY!
This is my cousin, Crystal, who lives in Eureka. She was a joy to be with all day and encouraged me to keep bidding when I wasn't sure about going higher on mom's silverware chest. Later she said, "I hope you don't mind my urging you to keep bidding. It's just that I know there will never be another chance to buy your mom's best silverware." I thanked her for she was right--even though I never dreamed that I'd spend $100 on some old silverware.
Right after lunch, Dad came over from the assisted living facility where he now lives. He plunked down on the grass, like he used to, and didn't seem upset at all, for which I rejoiced. This is Robert; Dad; and Cora visiting shortly before the sale started which began at 12:30.

Sharel with the antique bowl of mom's which she purchased.

A little cutie running around with his hot dog. Don't you just love his curls? :)

This was the biggest astonishment all day. The auctioneer announced that years ago there was a dairy on that site where my grandparents, and later my parents, milked cows. They didn't announce this but, when my grandparents sold the land up the hill to the city, they named it, "Delzer's First Addition" in honor my the dairy. There was never a "Delzer's Second Addition" to the town of Eureka. Later that hill was called, "Mortgage Hill" as it was THE place to build in those days. Now there are bigger mortgage hills in Eureka but it still is a nice part of town.
Anyway, this was an authentic cream bottle from those days when were we sat was grazed by dairy cows. People went crazy over it and it sold for $250--yes, that's right TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS. Well, in this picture one of Sharel's students said, "Mrs. Delzer--think fast," and he pretended to throw the little bottle at her. She screamed and everyone sighed a big sigh of relief when he VERY GENTLY handed her the bottle which she had bought for someone who couldn't attend.
I believe it was Andrew who had found a case of the lids in the cellar that they had used to seal the jars up with over 50 years ago. Our family was all amazed when people paid up to a dollar apiece for that little bit of Eureka's history.

Some children playing nearby with toys their parent's had bought for them.
Cora enjoying herself in the shade. I must say again that the Lord blessed us with the most perfect weather that I could have imagined. Everyone said that the day before they had sweltered in the 95 degree heat. It was around 80 degrees and the breeze was just perfect under the trees.

Dad visiting with another old timer. Robert's brother, Ron's, wife in the blue to the right. Her name is Bev and they were spending the weekend in Eureka with Bev's parents. It was sooooo nice that they came over to the sale even though Ron told her that she was not to buy a single thing. My goodness, I was so impressed that she didn't! I wonder if Robert would have liked if I had done the same. :)

This was an interesting item. It was from Eureka's 75th birthday. It's a piece of cardboard on a tongue depressor but it was from the drive-in in Eureka and announced Eureka's birthday celebration. It sold for $25!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today, in one of the boxes that I bought, I found a pack of napkins from the same event and I wondered how much they would have brought had I found them sooner.

This is dad's rifle and THAT deserves a post all of it's own. I will simply say that I BOUGHT IT!!!! The rest will have to wait as it's already almost midnight!

This is the crock that we used to make root beer with and beautiful Lake Eureka in the background.

We're starting in the backyard now. This is the auction crew hard at work. I'll tell you that those boys earn their money!!!

My brother, Duard, and his friend, and Robert. The friend's dad is one of Robert's customers so they sort of knew each other.

Perhaps this is why the Lord didn't want Jacob there. He wanted to buy this pool table in the worst possible way but, alas, we have no room for it here. Sometime I may tell you about Robert's and my first date and how we played pool on it. If you'd like to hear it, please leave me a comment asking me to do so. The ping-pong table went with it and that, also, holds many special memories for me.

A nice, cozy spot which looked very inviting as the day wore on.

Robert snapped this one of myself, SIL Bev, and Cora when we finally got up front to the good furniture.


Duard getting the clock to chime so that people could hear it. It brought $320. I kind of wanted it, but I wanted other things more and there are, as everyone knows, only so many dollars to go around.

Robert and Cora resting as the bidding continued.

Me too! Actually I had positioned myself to be able to bid on my mother's rocking chair which I bought for $60. My former high school teacher was bidding on it too. Robert told me later that Mr. Berreth turned to him and asked him, "Does Dawn REALLY want it?" Robert had answered him, "Let's just put it this way. You're NOT going to get it." He quit bidding then, for which I was grateful. :)
My nephew, Bennie, resting at "Grandma Erdie's" table one last time. See, we weren't the only ones.

Someone had driven this cool car to the sale and I couldn't resist having my picture taken by it. I sure am fond of old cars, in case you haven't noticed.

Boys lined up at the chuckwagon.

I had asked a woman to take our picture and, just as she did, something came up that I wanted to bid on. I was torn, "Do I pose for the picture or bid?" Can you guess which was my priority at that moment?

After everything was sold, Cora and I went out this door for probably the last time. She said, "Mom, do you want me to lock up the basement?"
"Yes dear," I replied. "I'm going to stay out here and get a few last pictures of my old home."

The yard, again empty of a crowd, was so lovely in the Summer evening. How could I resist breathing in, as Anne of Green Gables said, "The Summer loveliness of home." With the lake in
the background, that I grew up in, it truly is a remarkably beautiful location. I pray now that God will bring the people there to live whom He wants to be there, for only then can I be at peace with turning my old home over to another family. Please pray for this too!

I tore myself away from the wonderful memories there and went to say, "Goodbye" to dad in his new home. How far he has slipped to have to leave his lovely home and be content here. Still, it's where he needs to be now and I must accept this so that I can move on with my life too. If you can read this without tears streaming down your face, you don't know me very well, for I certainly have them coursing over my weary cheeks. However, as always, writing about this has been good for me and I thank you for handling my memories of the day gently. Please continue to carry my in your prayers in the days ahead as you have so faithfully been doing. I felt your prayers yesterday, as I was much more calm than I could have imagined myself being, and I bless each one who helped to make the day super special for me by covering all of us with your prayers!
And one last picture. As I strove with my feelings on the 80 mile trip back home, I didn't really want to talk much. However when, just as Robert turned up our road the sun broke through the clouds, I exlaimed, "OH, I SIMPLY MUST HAVE ONE MORE PICTURE."
Here it is. This is the end of the day in which we sold my parent's belongings. A lifetime of their treasures were gone and my mother with them. Things that I remembered her touching went to strangers, but not all of them. Sometime soon I will share pictures of the things that I bought and how they look in their new homes here. Now I am very tired, but it's a good tired, and I rejoice that I was able to share this day with you who have been waiting to read about/see it.
This is last night's sunset on the prairie and I bid you all good night.
Dawn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn , I loved your journal of the last day in a home you cherished in some ways. I thought about that and realized how wonderful it is to have my sister living in our mothers home. Just feels good.

Hope your childhood home will also have someone to love it as they grow up. It does look like a beautiful place.

So thankful you father is content with his living arrangement now. What a blessing he isn't bemoaning all that he left. How much easier to accept this than be upset about what could not be anymore. PTL

Kristi said...

Hi Dawn,
So glad the sale went so well. Amazing that God sent a break from the heat.

You always talk about how disgusted you are at how cheaply things go for, but I think that’s a good reminder for us to see the futility of our possessions, to show us how little value they really have.

You said it's interesting how the piano story unfolded throughout the day. I’d like to hear more. Cora’s blog yesterday really left me hanging! But after reading yours I figured it was the piano.

I just went to Cora’s blog and fortunately she filled in the details today. : ) Two pianos in the house! I wish we could even have one. Maybe someday my own parents will have a sale. Cora also said you got the wheelchair! Why was that bought? Was that Cora’s too for her work?

I look forward to hearing about the rifle details. So glad you got that! I wished that I could too for a reason you probably can guess. I also hope you take time to give details about your first date with Robert and how you played pool.

Glad to see a picture of your nephew Bennie whom I had heard so much about and haven’t seen since he was a baby.
Thanks for sharing all the details of the sale. I also am very relieved that it’s all over, including your stress.

Your cousin,
Kristi

Kimberly said...

Dawn, I am so relieved to hear about how well the sale went for you! I can't wait to see the pictures of all the things you bought in their new homes. And I, too, want to hear the pool story. Great post. Love to you.

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...