Saturday, July 24, 2010

Plans for Sabbath

Oh, I am sooooooooo excited! We are going away for Sabbath today to have fellowship with others who have been called to this way of life. We met this neat couple at Ben and Hannah's wedding and they made us feel so welcome to join their small group which meets in Bismarck. We've been too busy with the sale to accept their offer up until now, but today is the day! I'm sure I'll share pictures later--if they don't mind my taking a few pictures that is.



Other excitement around here is that Jacob began counting down the days until we fly to Georgia. Yesterday was one week and he kept saying things like, "We'll be in the Minneapolis airport at this time next week;" or "We'll just be getting into the rental car at this time next week;" (that one made me nervous) or "We'll be at the Inn by this time next week." He started getting ME excited with that one. Driving out of the busiest airport in the world will be behind us by then. :)

We measured the huge suitcase that I bought for one dollar at my dad's sale. We were delighted to learn that it's almost too big for the required measurements, but it will work. I thought, "Good grief, who would want to carry that monster around when it's full," but Jacob showed me that it's on wheels and it has a nice, long strap to pull it with. I told him that he can pull it around on our trip and he didn't even mind--HE WAS TOO EXCITED TO MIND!

Yesterday was a great day for progress. Cora is almost finished adjusting her room now that she has a piano in it too. I went through a million old pictures and saved the ones that I want to keep of our family.

A truly awesome moment came when I was almost ready to throw out this old picture because I didn't know the man. Then I paused to look at the woman and was surprised to see that it was my Grandma Elizabeth (Mom's mom) when she was yet a young woman. "Who is that man with his arm around her waist?" I wondered. Then a thrill went through me as I realized that it was a picture of my Grandfather Jacob Kusler. He died when mom was in 7th grade and I can't ever recall seeing a picture of him. He is a total stranger to me, but I sure liked to see how much he loved my sweet old Grandma.

I made lots of progress in my room too. I finally got down to the box which Sharel had filled for me as she had gone through the house. In that box I found a picture frame that I had given to mom which is truly old-fashioned. I honestly ever saw the frame when I looked at it and didn't pay any attention to the old people in the frame. However, it took on new meaning when I realized that it was a picture of my Kusler grandparent's on their wedding day on one side. On the other side was a picture of an exceedingly handsome young man who was my Grandpa Jacob. Isn't it appalling at the lack of communication in my family of origin that I never knew what my Grandfather Kusler looked like until yesterday?

Anyway, now you can walk into our room and not wonder if 5 boxes are going to fall on your feet. It is sooooooooo nice and I'm especially grateful that I bought the white book case at the sale as it is nice and tall. It's not even full yet but all of the boxes with books are empty except one. It had some musty-smelling ones in it so I put an old rag with some cinnamon oil on it in their to hopefully overwhelm the must odor. If that doesn't work, I'm afraid that THE GIRL OF THE LIMBERLOST and many of my favorite horse stories will have to hit the garbage can. Cinnamon oil helps to get rid of mold by the way.

I'm still not finished with all of the boxes as they involve hanging things on the walls. Hopefully I'll get to it this week as my goal is to have my house back to normal before I leave for Georgia in 6 days. We made tremendous progress yesterday so I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.....

One disappointment came yesterday, though. I had been invited to attend the equine ministries' free run through a few miles from here. Being it was VERY likely to rain, they postponed it. Guess what day they chose as their alternate date. Yes, next Friday when Jacob and I are taking off for our Georgia trip. Oh well, my mother did remark wisely when she said, "Sometimes you just can't have your cake and eat it too."

Well, today I hope that won't come true. We're going to fellowship with other Sabbath keepers AND I am planning on taking the family out to eat at our favorite place in Bismarck--THE GOLDEN CORRAL. Everyone can pick exactly what they want to eat and there is absolutely no excuse for not getting full. I've been wanting to take them out in appreciation for helping get ready for Dad's sale but it hasn't worked out until today. TODAY IS THE DAY!!!

I'm sure that pictures will follow but right now I need to get people moving. We need to leave by 8:30 and there are chores to do yet and some of us need to take our showers and all of us need to eat breakfast so, as you can see, I must close this post. I send a Sabbath blessing to all who follow this Commandment and here's a hug for everyone. :)

Blessings,

Dawn

No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...