Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Finally posting my first video--with Andrew's "Help"

Finally Andrew had some time to sit down with me and show me how to upload a video. I took this on February 13th, when Robert and Jacob were at the organic convention. Amanda Dagley was here with us then and we had a LOT of "Fun" getting the heifer into the calving pen. She almost went in the barn door and then got spooked. She turned around and half ran through and half flew over the cattle panel fence. Andrew took my advice then and got his RamCharger so that we had something out in the pasture that could move faster than she could although he had to be very careful not to get stuck because there is a LOT of snow out there. Andrew had a good idea too--something that I'd forgotten about. He opened the door on the other end of the barn so that it didn't look like she was going into a cave or something. We also took another cow in the barn with her so she didn't feel so intimidated. After Andrew got them in the calving pen, we got her to put her head in the headgate and then we let the other cow out of the barn.

After that I went to the dairy barn and washed up the chains and got a pair of disposable gloves for Andrew to use to pull the calf with. I then decided that I wanted to come to the house; get my camera; and capture Andrew pulling his first calf all by himself. I talked on the video about my frustration because I absolutely could NOT find any batteries in this house to put in my camera. Robert told me later that he had 4 sets of rechargeable batteries with him at the convention so that is why I found myself battery-less. I was VERY disgusted when I finally got out to the calving pen again. Andrew, Cora, & Amanda were just coming out of the barn. Andrew was pulling the messy gloves off and I knew that this meant that he was finished and I MISSED IT!!! Can you imagine that he wouldn't even wait for me to come with the camera? :) I asked, "Is it alive?" and they smiled and said, "Yes." That, after all, was the main point!!!

Well, I had grabbed his camcorder and brought it out so I took this video of the little critter's first moments of life. I will keep trying to catch an actual birth and will post it as soon as I am successful. We were a distraction to the mother as normally she would be licking the little one like mad. This stimulates the calf to get up and drink as it must have the first milk within 12 to 24 hours or it will die. This also gives the mother nourishment as the amniotic fluid is very healthy stuff. I wonder why humans don't do it? :) Anyway, I hope that you enjoy what I was able to capture that morning. The calf is doing well and I'll try to get a picture of it soon.

Today was a wonderful mail day. :) Robert got a check for hauling grain and Cora got a card from her best friend. Tucked inside that wonderful home-made envelope was a note for me from the mother of their family. It made my heart beat with joy as I read of her concern for our family EVEN THOUGH I DO BODYTALK. This has been typical of my Christian friends--they have rejected me because I saved my life through this unknown method. What we don't know about we are suspicious of. I have suffered much from this particular families' rejection because I could not stand it if Cora were to loose her best friend over BodyTalk. So I praise God for bringing healing into this relationship!!!! They are such a wonderful, loving family and I rejoice that they are grateful for the session that I did on their son last Spring when I was trying to help in the fields. To summarize, good things come to those who wait and leave it in the hands of the Lord!!!

Best get to lunch.



1 comment:

Tamera said...

AWWWW! So cute!

Dana had a cow go down, so Olivia now has a calf to hand raise.

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...