Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Geiger's Enthusiasm/Appleseed Shoot Here


What do these two pictures have to do with each other? HMMMMMMMMM. I guess you'll have to read and find out. :)

I realized after I posted about our trip to the zoo, that I didn't finish telling about the rest of that wonderful day. We were having such a special time with the Geiger family at the zoo that nobody could stop talking. Lisa leaned over and said quietly to me, "Would it be possible for you to come out to our farm for supper?" I smiled but was certain that the answer would have to be, "No" as I knew that our chores would get REALLY late if we accepted.

"I'm pretty sure that won't be possible," I told her, "but I'll go and see what Robert thinks about it."

Robert was talking to a fellow organic farmer who happened to show up later that afternoon. I thought it was neat that the Lord gave him a man to talk to. We women were talking women things most of the time although Lisa did take the time to pick Robert's brain about raising dairy calves. That can be a looooooooong topic as it seems to be more of an art than a science to keep those critters alive!

When I approached the men, it was without much hope. I quietly told Robert about Lisa's invitation. He thought about half a second and said, "I think we can do that." My mouth dropped open and I said, "You mean you think we can spare the time to go?" He grinned at me and said, "Yes, let's go." So we went.

What a marvelous time we had too. Anybody who has ever been to the Geiger's home will know what a treat that is! Young ladies bustling around the kitchen, each following their mother's orders, never running into each other--it's amazing! It looked like a small well-organized army. I tell you, there is a family who knows how to work together. Good job, Brian and Lisa!

Well, I was doing my best to stay out of the way when Mikayla very politely asked what was new with us. I told her that we were trying to see if we could get all of the requirements met to host an Appleseed Shoot at our house yet this Fall. I wasn't prepared for what happened next.

All activity ceased and everyone stood staring at me. Mikayla was the first to recover and she said with delight, "YOU ARE?" I told her that I wasn't sure if it would happen this year or not and then everyone came back to life.

All of the girls started talking at once about how excited they were to hear about the Appleseed program--thanks to Jonathan Bartlett who had sent them information before their shoot. Everyone said emphatically that they had desperately wanted to attend the shoot at the Bartlett's and they desperately hoped that we could get a shoot organized yet this fall before hunting season.

Now I know these girls pretty well, and they're always pretty cheerful, but that night they were OVERJOYED at the thought that we'd have a shoot. They were practically begging me to do everything within my power to make it happen. They were counting up people who would come from their family alone. "That would be 7 of us," said Molly excitedly. Somebody got on the phone to tell some friends whom they home fellowship with and got off saying, "The K family wants to come too and that's 3 more." I bet X, Y, and Z families would want to come too!!!

Lisa and I just stared at them, almost shocked at their enthusiasm. I prayed quietly, "Lord, are you trying to tell me something here?" YES--HOST A SHOOT THIS FALL!!!!!!!! So I decided right then and there to renew my efforts to TRY to have a shoot here at our farm, SEEDS OF HONOR.

The girls went on and on about how they love hunting, but they aren't very good shots and they NEEDED to go to a shoot so that they can improve.......... They talked excitedly as they prepared supper and everyone was in as high of spirits as most people are at Christmas time. WOW!!!!!!

Miranda and I talked a little bit about how to go about shooting at one of these events in dresses. Neither her, Cora, nor I ever wear any pants. Actually, before this I had asked Cora if she would consider wearing pants for modesty's sake. She had very matter-of-factly replied, "What pants?" Miranda too only wears dresses so it was nice to know that we won't be the only ones in skirts at our shoot!
So now we're working on sewing some long bloomers so that we can be as modest as possible while moving around quickly to try to achieve at least the rank of MARKSMAN. We know that wearing dresses will slow us down a bit, but you're supposed to shoot the way you normally would. Being we normally wear dresses, that would mean shooting the AQT with dresses on. It should be interesting. :)

The rest of the evening with the Geigers was just as delightful. The men were talking at one end of the table; the women at the other; children piled all around us. It truly was one of the happiest moments of my entire life. We were all talking so loudly with each other that it seems amazing to me now that I could hear Mr. Geiger when he sighed happily, "This just seems like old times." Brian's big grin was contagious and we all joined in with smiles of agreement.

All too soon the clock said 9:00 and we knew that we should have been done with chores by then. Everyone groaned at the inevitable separation and slowly made our way to the door. It was so funny as one person would pull himself away from the group and head towards Andrew's pickup. When the rest of the family didn't show up, they came back in for another round of farewells. It was so funny to watch but, when I got out to the pickup myself and found the kombucha mushroom that I'd brought for Lisa, I too made my way back to the house. The boys followed me in to help tear me away from them before I'd start expounding on the wonderful health benefits of drinking kombucha. Everyone was laughing and laughing and laughing. It was just so wonderful to be together with these dear old friends who started home schooling the same year that we did--which would be 18 years ago.

Finally, when we were all in the pickup, Andrew said, "WE HAVE GOT TO GET TOGETHER WITH THEM AGAIN!" All the way home, until I fell asleep, I heard this thought echoed around the cab. OH WHAT A WONDERFUL DAY IT WAS--PRAISE THE LORD FOR SWEET "OLD" FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!! Amen?

Anyway, I said all of that in preparation to make my announcement. Guess what? We have been approved to host an Appleseed Shoot here at our farm on the weekend of October 3rd and 4th. I decided to post the email which we're sending out to everyone we know to invite them to come and join us. I should add here that our shoot hasn't been listed on the website yet, but it should be in a few days, so keep checking. Alex has said that he is coming from Iowa and our North Dakota Instructors in Training are preparing, so we are assuming that it's a go.

You may consider yourself invited but I need you to do one thing for us. PLEASE go to the website and register to attend the shoot. You'll find us listed under the Oct. 3rd weekend listings as Kintyre, ND. We need you to do this as soon as you know that you're coming so the Appleseed people can prepare.

To put it mildly, we're excited around here about this. By hosting the shoot, we not only get to attend one, but we get to see all of our friends for 2 whole days. WOW! If one afternoon at the zoo and supper with the Geigers could bring so much joy to our family, what will 2 days of many friends here with us be like? I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO FIND OUT!!!

Please keep our shoot in your prayers. Pray that the weather will be perfect; that everyone will come who is supposed to; and that the bonds of friendship will deepen. Truthfully, we need each other in this world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TO FRIENDSHIP,

Dawn


YOU'RE INVITED TO AN APPLESEED SHOOT

WHERE: At the Robert Bornemann farm near Kintyre, ND

WHEN: October 3rd and 4th, 2009--from 8:30 to 4:30 each day

WHY: To improve your shooting skills and learn the history of April 19th, 1775
Hello everyone,
Our family is VERY excited to share our news with you. We have been accepted to host an Appleseed Shoot here at our farm!!! It was pretty iffy for awhile as we couldn't seem to find an appropriate location for the range. Then Robert came up with an awesome idea, which proved to be the answer to the problem.

Recently we purchased a large square baler which makes very high-density bales. At first we had considered using our large alfalfa bales as a backstop for the bullets, but who wants their hay all full of bullets? Well as it happened, Robert and our neighbor had just struck up a deal. Mr. Johnson grew flax this year and he offered to let us bale up the straw. Flax straw bales are virtually indestructible so we are planning on building wind breaks for the cattle with them after the shoot. Being these aren't going to be used for feeding to the animals, it doesn't matter if they're full of bullets or not. It is these bales that we're going to build a backstop with for the shoot.

We needed to KNOW that the bales would stop all of those flying bullets, so we set up a little test. The guys shot ten .22 shells and four .270 shells into a bale from a distance of 5 feet. NOT A SINGLE BULLET CAME THROUGH THE BALE! YIPEE! This means that we can host a shoot even though we don't have a hill steep enough to stop the bullets. So, if you are interested, mark your calendars for October 3rd and 4th as those are the dates set for our shoot. We invite you to join us here for our shoot. By attending you can learn tricks to improve your aim; get inspired to protect our country if need be; and make new friends--not to mention strengthening old friendships. :)

What we need you to do, the minute you know that you can come, is go to the Appleseed Project website here: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/. Find the listing for Kintyre, ND for the October 3rd and 4th weekend and register. Usually Appleseed likes 3 months to prepare for a shoot but we don't have that much time with winter approaching every day. The shoot boss asked me to urge you all to register immediately so that they can get their supplies together. They need a headcount in other words.

The Appleseed founders want everyone to be able to come to a shoot who would like to. They allow all children under 21; all women; and all active military personnel in for free. Isn't that great? Also Alex the shoot boss, told me that if there is a true financial need, nobody will be turned aside. If this is the case with your family, please let me know, and I'll make those arrangements with Alex. Otherwise the price is a mere $70 for men for the weekend. You do need to bring a sack lunch. I guess I should add here that you can come for only one day if necessary and that price is $45. Andrew said that the best day to come then is Saturday as that is when the bulk of the teaching is done.

Just as soon as you register on the Appleseed website, we'd like you to email us too and tell us the number of people from your family who are coming. We'll need to get enough bales to the shoot site so that everyone who wants to participate can shoot. Being we don't have an adequate hill for a backstop, we'll need to build one. :)

As you ponder this, I would like to have you take a few moments to watch this video on U-tube. Appleseed got very good press coverage and perhaps you will get your questions answered by watching. Here's the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYwhN2Uw8e4.

Thank you for considering joining us here. Please seriously ponder attending as Andrew and Jacob were very inspired by attending a shoot last month. Those of you who can't attend this shoot may want to do so next year. Also, we'd appreciate prayers for lovely weather that weekend--that is a way that EVERYBODY can help out!

Hope to see you next month,

Dawn for the Bornemanns

PS. If you have any extra rifles that you would be willing to loan to others for the shoot, please let me know. We have some people who want to come who don't have a gun--YET.

No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...