Monday, September 7, 2009

25 years

My brother hasn't stepped foot in my house in 25 years--until yesterday. You may recall that I sent him a love box with things from mom's funeral and invited he and his wife to visit us here. Well, they accepted our invitation yesterday and their visit had a special kind of sweetness
that I've never known before. I have always felt like an orphan in that family--all alone in the midst of a sea of sharks. After spending time with Russell and LV, talking until 1:00 this morning, I can now understand a bit about the making of a shark. I'm not saying that we're kindred spirits or anything (I DON'T SMOKE CIGARS), but it was sweet when he said as I showed them my garden, "So, you grow dill just like mom did."

Here is a picture of Russell Warren Delzer--the oldest in my family. It was a special day for him as he was celebrating 10 years of sobriety. 10 years ago, Russell was in a motorcycle accident that almost took his life. "Not a droop of booze in 10 years," was how Russell described his recovery from alcoholism. GOOD FOR YOU BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!
LV is from the Philippines and has a heart of gold. She is a city girl and was overjoyed to help feed the baby calves.
Here she proudly told me, "I helped to feed the cows, oops calves." We had had a lesson at suppertime about the proper terms for the different types of critters in the bovine family. I never realized that it can be confusing having grown up with that kind of talk all of my life. LV was so excited to have the opportunity to actually touch Cheerio, Andrew's milk cow. Look at that smile. It made me wonder how many other people are aching for a bit of country life!


Russell showed all of us his hybrid car. It has a gas motor and an electric motor. He said that at stop signs the whole thing shuts off to save energy. Then when you're ready to go, the electric motor fires up quickly and gets the car moving. Then the gas motor starts up. He gets about 70 miles to the gallon--WOW!!!!!! It was VERY interesting to hear about this technology as our guys keep searching for ways to save fuel. The battery pack is in the trunk.
This morning all of us were pretty tired from our short night but it was so great to be greeted by Russell this morning. His, "So how is my sister?" almost brought tears of joy to my eyes. It was a good thing that Andrew was standing there so I could bury my face in his chest. Russell isn't too much for shows of affection--YET!!! He's had a hard life but this sweet little lady has done miracles with her loving ways. Thank you LV!!!


LV said as they got in their car, "The next time we come..." THE NEXT TIME--I hadn't given any thought whatsoever to the possibility that they would drive 6 hours one way to see us ever again. WOW. As Russell drove their hybrid out the driveway, I had the strangest warm spot in my heart. Could this be what "Family" is supposed to be like????????????? Oh did I mention that they brought a week's worth of fruit for us to enjoy? It was a joy then to fill up the empty places in their car with just-picked veggies from our garden. LV said that she may even have herself a garden next year!!!!!!!!!!!
As I ponder the time spent with my brother I realize that GOD CAN DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!PRAISES TO HIS NAME!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Your post brought tears of joy to my eyes. So thankful things went so well. I love you, Dawn!

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly,
This is a victory for YOU, as well as for me, for I know that you have prayed for my family of origin for years. How can I ever thank you enough?
I love you, Kimberly! What an awesome friend you are!!!!!!!
I'm starting to look forward to Harvest of Thanks! BJ wrote and asked me to read something special about Thanksgiving. Any ideas?
Your friend,
Dawn

Cora Beth said...

Great pictures, Mother B!
I'm glad that you came through our recent companys' visit so well... :) I wonder if they really will come again sometime?

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I thought I'd return the happiness~

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...