Tuesday, September 1, 2009

More Appleseed pictures

We're still wondering if we'll be able to host an Appleseed Shoot here yet this Fall. Nobody officially from the Appleseed Project has said, "No" yet, but we thought that the end of October would be a bit too chilly when that was proposed yesterday afternoon. Then I thought about what Chris had said, after the shoot at his farm, about doing an informal one for those who couldn't attend. So, being the Geigers are aching to learn about this, I'm wondering if I might be able to persuade Andrew and Jacob to share what they know in an informal shoot. The truth is that I WANT TO LEARN HOW TO IMPROVE MY SHOOTING AND DON'T WANT TO WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR TO DO IT!!!!!! There, now it's out. :)
Anyway, here are some of the pictures from the shoot at the Bartlett's place which Andrew just uploaded from his cell phone last night. Maybe they will inspire more people to want to learn to improve their aim too. :) Here Andrew is driving his new wheels on his first outing away from the family. What a fine young man he has become! I must add that he earned his wheels by running our portable grain cleaning unit for us all Spring! Good job, Andrew! He took this picture of himself with his cell phone so the image is backwards. :)
Now about the shoot. I found it interesting, as I looked at these pictures, to observe the process of learning step by step. First one must be ready, willing, and eager to learn. Here Andrew Bartlett is demonstrating his readiness. First comes the thought......
Next comes the preparation....
Finally it's the real thing--men, women, and children on the firing line learning how to improve their skills.
Then, because learning is REAL work, it's great to take a break and visit with friends. Chris, Jacob, and Andrew Bartlett in the foreground. Instructors mixing with students equals learning when the desire is there. The student must desire to learn what the instructor knows and the instructor must be willing to share with the student what he knows and then there is learning, comprehension, growth. Isn't that wonderful?
I had never really thought of my role as a home school teacher like that before but it really IS a joy to impart to my children that which I've learned in the process of a teacher imparting what he/she knew to me. Somehow, right now, that seems really awesome. Is it any wonder that people called Christ, "GOOD TEACHER?" Not only was he good, but he was a teacher!!!!!!!!! Oh that I would be a teacher like HE is. AMEN?
Well, one of the things on my TO-DO list for today is to send in my letter of intent to home school Jacob this year. It most certainly does seem like a good time to tackle that dreaded task right now--seeing as I'm in such a "Teacher" mood.
To all who teach, may you ponder seriously the affect of the lessons you pass on today! May each one have tucked into it dimensions of eternal consequence, for those are the ones that matter forever.
Blessings to all of you home schoolers as you begin a new school year!!!!!!!!!!!
Dawn

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

Mrs. Bornemann, Did somebody from Appleseed respond to you and ask specifically about October? I was contacted and asked if Peter and I were available to do another shoot and we said yes, except for the last weekend of September.

I hope something works out. A cooler weather appleseed wouldn't be the end of the world if we dressed for it, right? :-) But it might be tough if there was a foot of snow on the ground.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jonathan,
Yes, it was mentioned that your shoot boss could come at the end of October, but nothing definite was decided upon yesterday. We're not willing to take the risk of having people get sick by holding it that late in the season. Andrew did think of one benefit to it, though. We could just make the burm out of snow. :)

It's wonderful that you and Peter would come down and help us!!! Now I'm wondering if you would be willing to do so even if Appleseed couldn't send out someone to make it official yet this Fall? I know that you need to help at official shoots to achieve your rank, though, so please feel free to say, "No" if necessary. I guess that's something that you could ponder.

I just know that there are some people around our neck of the woods who would LOVE to be able to attend a shoot. One family told me that they were sorely grieved that they had other plans the weekend of your shoot.

Let's keep praying and talking about this!

Mrs. Bornemann

Kimberly said...

I, too, wish I could be a teacher like Jesus. Too many times I feel inadequate or irritated! But I keep reaching for my goal. We started our home school on Monday. Already today we were interrupted but it was Whitney and a good interruption! We take any chance we can to see her! All we need to do is to finish our art project and reading. For art we covered an oatmeal container with construction paper. We wrote John 3:16 on it which is our memory verse for the week. Daniel will glue on pictures of children/people from around the world. We will use it as a bank for the children's mission fund. One of our main focus this year as we explore cultures and countries is to pray for different people groups. I'm excited about this study!

By the way I like the idea of the Appleseed Project.

Anonymous said...

Kimberly,
I think the best teachers are the ones who know that they must lean heavily on the Lord's arm. It sounds like you are off to a good start! Please share about your curriculum when you have time.
Thanks for your interest in an Appleseed Shoot here. I'll let you know just as soon as I know something definite. Do you know how many would come from your family?
Dawn

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...