Saturday, September 26, 2009

Harvest of Thanks


Good morning,

As you could tell from Cora's post, we've been very busy around here putting up food for winter and preparing for our shoot next weekend. Andrew finished cleaning out the goat's pen yesterday and almost did in the huge manure pile in the yearling's pen. Cora finished painting the merry-go-round; Jacob painted on the teeter totter; and I compromised with myself on painting the door frame after Cora, Jacob, and I searched for the right paint over several day's time. This means that I did paint the visible portion of the frame but left the inside of the door frame until I can find some exterior paint that matches. I ended up using the paint from the dining room, as it's close in color, and my perfectionism could not have stood looking at that white paint on the cream siding that I got on it when I primed the frame. Anyway, it looks much better for now, but it's not a permanent fix.

One of the things I did yesterday was dug through more poetry books for a "Perfect" reading to share today. However, when I talked to my friend Betty Jo from church, she spoke of her willingness to look at WITH MY SONG. BJ is an excellent pianist and can pick up most songs instantly but this is pretty tough in the accompaniment. Andrew helped me get it ready to send to her and I was thrilled when she called to say that she could play it. SHE LIKES IT TOO!!! So, now what remains for me is to convince my family that WE all want to sing it over there.

After BJ said that she would play for us, it made the poem-finding easier as it could be something short and sweet. I really didn't want to walk to the front of the church to read a half minute poem and then turn around and walk back, but I just couldn't find anything longer that I really liked. So, with the hopes that I can get my family to sing WITH MY SONG with me, I easily settled on this poem. I hope that you like it too!
Thanksgiving
(Lizelia Augusta Jenkins Moorer)
Let us give thanks to God above,
Thanks for expressions of His love,
Seen in the book of nature, grand,
Taught by His love on every hand.
Let us be thankful in our hearts,
Thankful for all the truth imparts,
For the religion of our Lord,
All that is taught us in His word.
Let us be thankful for a land,
That will for such religion stand;
One that protects it by the law,
One that before it stands in awe.
Thankful for all things let us be,
Though there be woes and misery;
Lessons they bring us for our good-
Later 'twill all be understood.
Thankful for peace o'er land and sea,
Thankful for signs of liberty,
Thankful for homes, for life and health,
Pleasure and plenty, fame and wealth.
Thankful for friends and loved ones, too,
Thankful for all things, good and true,
Thankful for harvest in the fall,
Thankful to Him who gave it all.
~~~~~~~~
So you see, music came to the rescue once again. Music also was my inspiration yesterday. I'm sure that you say the video that Cora put on her blog. Well, over breakfast yesterday we watched many of Mr. Perry's video clips and I got VERY excited with an idea.
I grabbed Andrew's arm and looked up in his eyes and said, "Andrew will you help ME TO DO THIS?"
He laughed and said that he thinks it can be done. Oh, how I love singing women's trio music. I have the perfect music too as I sang with a women's trio about 10 years ago called HEARTS OF PRAISE. It was a lot of fun but the hard part was getting together with people out here in the sticks to practice. Well, if I'm singing all 3 parts, I can practice any time I want to. OH I AM SO EXCITED FOR WINTER TO COME NOW AS I HAVE AT LONG LAST LEARNED OF A WAY THAT I CAN HARMONIZE WITH MYSELF!!!!!!!!! :)
Well, Cora and Andrew are in the kitchen humming 2 different songs. I got the impression that they think it would be great if all of us would harmonize together out in the barn, so I'd best get moving. I'll post pictures of our special day here later.
Happy Sabbath,
Dawn

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I loved your song and the time I got to visit with you. So nice to see you there! I've got to get to work on my tomatoes today.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly,
I, too, enjoyed your music yesterday! The choir song was just phenominal and I loved the ladies' trio!!!!!!!!!!!
When I have a few free moments, I'll send you the pictures that we took of the choir song. I wish that we had one of us but Andrew didn't take along his tripod.
Here's one for the funny bone. I leaned over and asked him, "Andrew, did you bring along your Ipod?"
Everyone looked at me funny as we were reading THE WALRUS HUNTERS" on his Ipod all the way over to Alfred.
Andrew asked me, "For what?"
I said, "To put your camcorder on and tape our song."
They all almost cracked up then and suddenly I realized that the word I was needing was TRIPOD, not IPOD.
I'll tell you the truth, the world of technology is still a great mystery to me. I just have little interest in it unless it can prove to me that it is going to make my family life better. Oh well, it does seem like a good idea to at least TRY to understand what everyone else is talking about, doesn't it? :)
Dawn

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...