Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Zoo pictures at last

Well, I am FINALLY getting time to post pictures of our trip to the zoo in Bismarck last week Sabbath. We had been antsy to get out of here so we called the Geiger family and asked if we might visit them. Lisa said that she was taking the children to the zoo as it was a free day. We agreed to meet them there around 3:00, but first Robert treated us to a meal at our favorite restaurant up there, THE GOLDEN CORRAL.

Talk about a feast! It's so neat that everybody gets to eat everything they want as they serve almost EVERYTHING at The Golden Corral. I keep asking on the comment card for cheesecake though. For some reason, that is the one thing that they don't serve that I would really enjoy. Of course they have this WONDERFUL banana cream pudding that is simply unforgettable, so that makes up for it. :) I recommend it highly!

By the way, I do have Andrew's permission to post "His" pictures. Being everything is cool there, you can enjoy them as much as I am enjoying sharing them. I'm not sure why the computer keeps changing the picture and word location. I'm doing something wrong but I'm hoping that it'll post properly. Sorry if it doesn't--I'll have to wait until Andrew gets home to fix it if it's a mess.

Anyway, when we got to the zoo, the Geigers weren't there yet so we pocked around by the gate waiting. This is Jacob and I having fun together.












The monkeys were a favorite of the Geiger/Bornemann bunch. The father took it upon himself to do tricks while the little baby hung onto his mama delighting everyone as she moved around as easily as if it wasn't there. I've seen many home school mothers do the same thing. :)
Talk about stalking.
This guy was a big crowd pleaser...........

especially when he went over to his buddy, the white Bengal tiger, and put his "arms" around him. They played together just like I have seen our barnyard cats do many times--amazing.

I have always loved watching the otters at the Bismarck zoo. They are so much fun that I think I could watch them all day.
This little guy was so adorable as he picked up the Cheerios or corn kernels that people had thrown into his home for him. I think it's so neat that he eats with his hands as all of our animals around here just lean over; stick their heads down; and eat. I could have watched him for hours and many people were able to lean over and pet him.

Well, that's the animal part of the zoo excursion. Certainly when you go to the zoo, one does tend to focus on the animals. However, the most pleasant part of the day ended up being the humans that the Lord brought along to bless our day. Here Moses and Jacob get caught up with each other. Robert noticed that Moses' belt was lighter than it used to be. He must have gotten tired of carrying along half of the shop on his hips. :) I happened to notice, though, that his little brother, Justice, had a huge clip on his belt with about 50 rubber bands so it's nice to see that somebody is carrying on Moses' tradition. :)
Jubilee Geiger has always been one of my favorite little people. I can recall about 2 years ago she came walking into the Geiger kitchen on one of our visits there. She picked herself up a glass; walked to the frig; got herself a drink; smiled sweetly at me and said, "Hello, Mrs. Bornemann, how are you?" This was when she was about 7 years old. She's the "Spittin' image" of her pretty mama and she loves animals too! Here she's feeding the doe alfalfa pellets that Lisa had brought along for the purpose.

Here some of the young people visited when us parents tuckered out. It's so neat to see how home schooled young adults mix with their younger siblings and even care for the baby.
Cora and her good friend, Miranda Geiger visiting...
while the mothers, Lisa and I, rest after a couple miles of walking.....
and the boys of all sizes got tired of waiting for us and took off running as fast as they could. Isn't it amazing how much energy boys have?

Here Molly Geiger stopped us to take a few pictures of the group. Molly is always so
light-hearted and cheerful--it's easy to smile for her. Andrew took her picture as she took one of us. :)


Andrew snapped this one of all of us Geiger and Bornemann ladies walking.
Poor Robert as Mr. Geiger was working and all of the boys were far ahead of us.
His smile tells me that he didn't mind the company TOO MUCH! :)


This is a picture of me and my sweetie walking over the footbridge.
I have ALWAYS loved footbridges and, for some unknown reason, I think that they are wonderfully romantic. Maybe it's because it was on the footbridge that Gilbert proposed to Anne in my all time favorite movie (probably the reason that I was willing to take another look at living in the country) ANNE OF GREEN GABLES.



Now, as much as I love spending time with my husband and family, they were not the highlight of the day for me. I'm sure that they wouldn't even mind my saying so. My precious Heavenly Father knows how I have been aching to see my dear, old friend, Terry Gunia. Terry and I were young home school moms together; we taught Bible School together; we field-tripped together; we worshipped together; we learned together and taught together; and what's more--we were NEIGHBORS FOR 5 YEARS!!!
Well, our family was in the Discovery Center at the zoo when Robert took me by the shoulders and turned me in a different direction from the one I was facing. I thought it was kind of a strange thing to do but then it was that I saw my dear friend, Terry. I was stupefied with joy and stared at her unable to move! When she saw me, though, the 10 feet between us was gone in a millisecond. Oh for joy to be in Terry's warm embrace again and I am shedding tears of joy now as I recall that moment. I think it was Andrew who caught this picture of us meeting after nearly 6 years of being apart. Thanks Andrew and Thanks Lord for this moment of joy.
After we calmed down a little bit, we talked to Terry about what's been happening in her life since we moved out of her neighborhood. I just couldn't bear to part with her so I invited her to walk with us, which she did. For 2 full hours I was with this "Bestest of friends" as Terry used to call us when we lived together over in the beautiful foothills north of Linton. Oh, how I have missed my friend!
I learned through visiting that I wasn't the only one who almost died. Last winter Terry had to have back surgery and they hit the wrong spot in her back when they were doing the spinal tap. From complications she almost died and she was in the hospital 12 days over Christmas last year.
Listening to her story about the loneliness she endured then, we agreed that we should take up the tradition I learned in my youth of singing carols around that time of year for those so unfortunate ones to be in the hospital during the time of year when everyone is focusing on the gifts that they will receive. God only knows where that will end up.
In case you ever read this Terry, I want you to know that I have always loved you. You are a fantastic friend, teacher, neighbor. You always brought out the best in me and I pray that we can pick up where we left off. In my opinion, God brought us together at the zoo to show us both that we were destined to be friends!!!!
Terry, do you remember the pillow that you gave me once? It's still on my couch and I think of you so often when I see it. For one thing, I LOVE hunter green and the flowers are so lovely too. But the best part about this pillow is the words which read,
A FRIEND IS A GIFT YOU GIVE YOURSELF.
Thank you, Terry, for being my friend and I just pray that you are as blessed as I am by our friendship which has spanned decades!
Thanks to all of you other friends out there too. Each one of you has blessed my life in unspeakable ways and I love you all. Just in case I haven't told you lately, you are special to me and I hope that some day we will meet again as I met dear Terry at the zoo.
I LOVE YOU ALL
Dawn

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Ahhh! That was so sweet that you were able to see your friend there. How wonderful that God worked it all out that you were both in the same place at the same time! I loved looking at the pictures of the animals and especially you people enjoying each other's company. May God bless!

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly,
You know what? Every time you post a comment here it's like being in the same place at the same time with a precious friend. :) Thanks so much! Isn't friendship wonderful?
Happy Sabbath to you and your family,
Dawn

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...