Sunday, November 8, 2009

A weekend without Cora

A weekend without Cora is like a hamburger without a bun; or a mother without her baby; or a water without it's melon. OOPS! Just checking to see if you REALLY read this or just look at the pictures. :) Anyway, you get the picture (no pun intended). That's why I was so glad that Cora hung around all day Thursday to help Jacob celebrate his birthday before talking off for the wedding.
We decided to make corn dogs to celebrate Jacob's 14 years of life. I used to make them a lot, when we first got married, but haven't since we gave up eating pork a decade or so ago. Now I found these all-beef hot dogs at Sam's so, for a rare treat, we like to have them even though we know that they are NOT good for our health. Jacob doesn't ever remember my making corn dogs so I guess it's about time that he had one. HE LOVED THEM!!!!!!!! Here I'm taking one out of the hot oil and you can see the next ones ready to go into the oil lying on the counter. We made corn bread and shaped it around the hot dog, rolling it a little at the end to get the batter as smooth as possible. Robert said that he remembered the batter tasting "Less corny," so I guess we'll look for another recipe if we ever make corn dogs again.
While I deep fat fried the corn dogs, Jacob opened his presents. I dare not tell you about all of them, for that should be his pleasure, but I will say that he very much enjoys the fancy, new joystick that Andrew gave him and the movie that Cora gave to him. We watched it later that night, for which I was grateful, so that I didn't have to think about Cora's 100 mile trip in the dark by herself.......... I know but I AM a mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The boys asked for dirt cake so that's what is in the pot. Robert got me good when he came in the kitchen and said, "You should get rid of that sickly looking plant on the freezer." "What plant?" I asked before I realized that he was tricking me. He had a good laugh as I looked out in the entry way to see the dirt cake with the flowers sticking in it which Jacob had picked. Have you ever eaten dirt cake? Maybe I should do a poll like Cora likes to do once in awhile to spice up her blog.

Here Andrew is taking the flowers out of the cake. He's licking the "Dirt" off of his fingers after he cleaned off the stems. The dirt is made of crushed Oreos so it's a treat around here. Yes, those are gummy worms which you freeze and then push down into the cake.

The inevitable moment came when Cora had everything in the van and she was ready to go. I won't post a picture of her adorable cake but I'll just say that it fit the western theme of the wedding wonderfully. Here she is looking VERY happy to head out on her little vacation. "Yes, Mom, I have the cell phone along." :)

What do you do after supper is done; your sister is gone; and your mom is putting away the supper? Go fix on your new computer. The best I can figure out what's going on here is that Andrew sold Jacob his "New" computer that he just bought on Wednesday. Then Jacob sold Andrew the game card off of it and they both are fixing and exchanging and my mind goes into a blurr just listening to them talk about it all. I did think that Andrew looked quite determined here to get to the PC as he wrapped himself around the leg of his desk.

I asked Jacob, "Are you sure that you know what you're doing?" "YUP--Andrew told me." OK!

These pictures were taken yesterday--Saturday. I bought my sons new socks and hid them all around the house. "They're hidden in some warm place," was all that I said and off they went on their annual birthday search. Cora did hers the fancy way on Thursday night--she had clues that he went in search of.... I didn't have that much time. :)

"What is warm up there, Jacob?" I asked. The answer, "Matches."

After a good hymn sing and another incredible sermon by Pastor S. M. Davis on not allowing others to offend you yesterday afternoon, we went across the road for some shotgun practice. They've been out twice before but I wasn't ever along with them. I was prepared that they would ask me to try my hand at it as they did that to Cora. When she tried it, she blasted the first one so I was nervous and tried to pretend like I didn't want to shoot. :) Here Robert is throwing the clay pigeons, as they're called, and Andrew and Jacob are shooting.

Here Andrew is tossing the disks and Robert and Jacob are shooting. I was glad for the ear protection that we got for the shoot as those things are quite a bit louder than a .22.

Then, came the big moment when Andrew asked me to give it a whirl. I missed the first one but hit the second. Then I got all excited and missed the third shot and that was about all that my shoulder could take. Sabbath is drawing to a close here as the sun starts to sink.

Jacob got new gloves for his birthday so here he's getting ready to go out to the barn last night and modeling them for you. That grin is genuine as his old gloves were in terrible shape.

This was taken this morning. I've been working with our dog, Millie, when I go out to get the mail. There wasn't any mail this morning but Andrew said that he'd walk across the road with me anyway to watch Millie get her lesson. Here he climbed up the bale stack and counted how many bales are left. He was telling me that he thinks we'll have enough hay this winter as long as we cull out some of the old cows.
About Millie, she has taken to running so I got a bag of doggy treats when I was at Sam's last time. We had tried tying her up whenever we could get her back from a jaunt, but that wasn't getting through to her. I'm not about to loose another dog to that road out there, so I knew that it was time to take action. Now, whenever she takes off running ahead of me, I let her run off some energy then call her back. As soon as she comes, she gets a piece of the doggy bone in payment for her obedience. Today was the 4th day and she came almost every time that I called her. I figure another week or two and we'll have us a dog that's worth having--one that's going to STAY ALIVE!!! :)

Well, I have several BodyTalk sessions to do yet this afternoon, so I guess I should get to them. I should say that Cora called last night saying that she's having a wonderful time but that her back was bothering her. She did Reiki on it, but it kept coming back, so she asked me to do a BT session for her either last night or this morning. I did BOTH so I'm eager to hear how the wedding went. How I miss my girl but I'm very happy that she is having a wonderful time! The only sadness is that Dorena, her best friend, wasn't able to come even though her brother was the best man. I guess Dorena had to work, which reminds me that I should get back to work too. :)
Blessings,
Dawn

1 comment:

Tamera said...

Sounds like your weekend without Cora is going pretty well.

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...