Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Ercp

Well, now I FINALLY know what they did that saved my dad's life in Sioux Falls. My sister-in-law, Sharel, called this morning to say that she and Duard brought dad home last night. He is much better than he's been in a long time.

Dad had told me that they put him under and stuck a tube down his throat to see what was going on. I suppose that's what he could grasp of it when he was in so much pain. He actually DID have a surgical procedure called ERCP. I copied the information that I found on Goggle below for those who may be interested in such things.

The reason that they couldn't deal with the stones in Aberdeen is because they were blocking the bile duct. They're still saying that there were stones in the liver, but I've never heard of that. So what they did was put this tube down dad's throat and used a balloon to break up the stones. They sucked the one out that was in the bile duct and put 2 stents in between the liver and the gall bladder. This is so that the crushed stones can pass out in the bowel movements.

Sharel said that on the 20th of July, she and Duard will have to take dad down to Sioux Falls again for an examination and to have the stents removed. This works out ok for them as their youngest son will begin school in Sioux Falls soon and they have things to do with that down there now too. So as they say, "All's well that ends well."

I'm off to Bismarck today. I need to take Rick the camper; do some sessions at the office; and see my chiropractor for this aching back. I wonder what he'll say as I was supposed to come in last week, but finances wouldn't allow it. Now today, the trucks are coming to take our organic oats to an organic mill in Iowa. Finally we will have the money from that crop after waiting all winter. I'll tell you, I believe in growing organically with all of my heart, but it's a little bit frustrating sometimes waiting for a buyer to come along. Praise the Lord that part is behind us. Now the only thing left to wait for is the check!

One more thing before I go. Have you checked out Jacob's newest blog post? I challenged him one morning to write with the promise that I wouldn't complain if he posted that goofy picture of me. It was done by noon that day. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Is it that he really doesn't like to write or is it that he needs some ideas of what to write about?

Happy today and happy growing. I urge you to check out Sonic Bloom's website in your spare time--it'll open your eyes to the possibility of unprecedented garden yields. If you can't eat all that you produce, you can always give some of it away. Think of the blessing THAT would be to you now and throughout all eternity.

This seems like a good place to share one of my favorite verses from the Bible. Luke 16:38 says: Give and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over shall men give into your bosum. For with the same measure that ye mete withal, it shall be measured to you again.

I wonder why you don't hear that verse much anymore?

ERCP is a diagnostic and/or therapeutic procedure that examines the bile duct, pancreatic duct, and gallbladder using a lighted flexible tube and x-ray. A catheter (small plastic tube) is inserted into the opening of the ducts located in the duodenum. A dye is injected slowly and with the aid of x-ray, the biliary and pancreatic ducts can be visualized for any abnormalities.
Patients who have pain or abnormal laboratory tests may be advised to have an ERCP to diagnose possible biliary or pancreatic disease. ERCP can be useful to determine whether or not surgery is needed. Patients who are jaundice (yellow discoloration of skin ad eyes) may be advised to have an ERCP to diagnose the cause. Some patients may have stones in their bile duct, strictures (narrowing) of the ducts, or tumors.
Therapeutic techniques can be used during ERCP to treat some problems. Stones can be removed from the bile ducts using small balloons or through lithotripsy (crushing of stones). Strictures can be kept patent (open) by placing stents (metal or plastic drainage tubes) in the ducts.

No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...