Thursday, October 1, 2009

Encouragement



What a week of yo-yo emotions it's been. Just when I would despair, the Lord would send someone or something to encourage me. What a great encourager He is to me! I'll give you a few examples.

I had just gotten an email that a large family, who was pretty sure that they would come to our Appleseed Shoot this weekend, was NOT coming. WHAT A BUMMER!!! Just when I was sinking into despair, the Lord had my cousin from Wisconsin write that she and her family would LOVE to come to a shoot at our farm sometime when it's not the middle of the school year. I had decided to send Kristi the invitation just in case they would happen to be here visiting our relatives in Bismarck at this time. She told me that she has dreamed of coming to our farm for a loooooooong time. Now that we invited them to our shoot, they have a good "Excuse" to come out. This was wonderful news to me as this family home schools their son and I believe their 3 adopted children. I had no idea that they would be willing to travel so far for a visit. Isn't it wonderful how emails can shorten the miles between friends?

Then I got immensely discouraged with the weather forecast. I was sinking again when Cora told me that Jonathan Bartlett posted on her blog these thoughts. I assume that he won't mind my sharing them as they are already public information. "The cool weather may not be the greatest for a few reasons, but thick winter clothing will actually help you shoot more accurately because it blocks muscle tremors. So you might not want to pray TOO hard to not have the temperatures they're forecasting!
Actually I really think that the shoot may not be happening at all if it weren't for Jonathan's continual encouragement. You see, he is an Instructor in Training with the Appleseed project. Jonathan told me that he needs to assist the shoot boss at 4 shoots and then he will achieve the rank of Shoot boss himself. He REALLY believes in this program and has studied many hours already to help bring this information to all of us. What is so amazing to me is that this is all on a volunteer basis, folks. To be fair, I should mention that Jonathan's brother, Peter, and our friend, Chris, are also studying to be a shoot boss someday. It's been Jonathan, though, who continually encourages me to keep working on getting as many people as possible to the shoot. Thanks Jonathan--all of us here are eager to have you and Peter join us for the weekend!!!!!!!!!!
One family in particular has been GREATLY DISCOURAGING. They were so supportive in the beginning and for some unknown reason have withdrawn their support. Don't you just wish that people would come and talk to you when their are problems? How can any problems be solved without communication. Further, how can relationships be continually growing without good communication? Like Robert points out to me at times like this, "Every relationship is either going forward or it's going backwards. There is no such thing as standing still relationships."
However just when my spirits sank over this, the Lord once again came to the rescue. We learned then that our dear friends, the Dagley family, are sending over Ben and Amanda to join us. Cora is so excited about this as soon Amanda will be a married woman. Cora wants to have one last slumber party with her young friend but I told her that the lights are getting turned out early. We'll need to get our chores finished; lunches made; get washed up; and be out at the range by at least 8:00 in the morning so we can help get people settled in. That will not work too well if young ladies stay up until 2:00 in the morning as they are "Wont to do." :)
I also was blessed by Jonathan's mom this morning offering to send some food along for our family this weekend. She actually thanked me for the chance to be a part of our shoot in that way. What a beautiful spirit!!!!!!!!!
Then, with all of the rain we haven't been able to finish our painting on the teeter-tooter. Robert, my ever so clever sweetheart, said that we'll drag it down to the Quonset tomorrow if it's still wet outside so that the hour long paint job can be finished. Can you see how the Lord keeps me going continually? You'll never convince me that He doesn't want this shoot to come off.
Then too our shoot boss, Alex, himself sent 2 encouraging emails this week. He's leaving Aimes, Iowa tomorrow morning to head our way. He said, "We'll teach as long as there are people there." Cora asked me, "Do you suppose he'll keep talking even if people are frozen to the ground?" :)
No kidding, the weather has been a major concern for us here ever since the beginning. Now I'll tell you about how the Lord saved the day this afternoon. Robert and I went to Bismarck to get semi parts; make a food run on Sam's; and pick up the Spiffy Biffy. This was a first time for us and it was quite an interesting experience driving Andrew's pickup through Bismarck towing a porta potty. We need one because the range is about 1/2 mile from the farmstead. I should add that we needed to take Andrew's pickup because when I was pulling the camper home from Eureka on Wednesday, a rock hit the rear window in the van and broke it out. THIS IS THE THIRD TIME THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED AND I HAVEN'T RECEIVED COMFORT FOR THIS YET!!!
So, as the day went on I kept getting more and more discouraged. The trip up was pretty rough on the way up this morning as they just don't have much gravel on the road once we hit Kidder county. Pulling a porta potty down it on the way home was even more fun. I was grumbling quite a bit in my spirit to the Lord. Thoughts like, "And this is the road that people are supposed to take to get to our house tomorrow night and Saturday." etc.
All of a sudden Robert directed my attention to look out the side mirror on my side. It was just a hilarious sight. MUD WAS FLYING EVERYWHERE. The mud was flying higher than the Spiffy Biffy. Mud flew on the roof of the pickup. Mud flew on my side window and side mirror. Mud flew on the pumpkin I'd bought and put in the back of the pickup. Mud flew all over our coolers in the back. There was so much mud flying that all of a sudden I saw the humor and started laughing. I gave up, in other words.
"OK, GOD, if you want us to have the shoot in the mud, then I will just have to accept it. What can I do about it anyway?" That laughter was the best medicine for little Mrs. Perfectionist. I finally accepted that there's not a thing in the world that I can do about the weather; about who comes or doesn't come; and about the painting that needs to get done on the house's door frame which can't be moved to the Quonset. There's not a thing in the world that I can do to make this shoot a success that I haven't already done. THE REST IS UP TO GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! OH FOR JOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A RELEASE THAT WAS!!!
So, to summarize, if you want to come and join us, you can still walk in on Saturday or Sunday morning and you would be VERY WELCOME. If not, it would be great if you would pray for all of us to have a great time while we learn. If you could spread the word about our shoot, that would be great. If not, so be it. I'll post pictures just as soon as possible.
My main point that I'm trying to make here is that little things mean a lot to someone who is stressing over something big in their life. Words of encouragement mean so much. I bless each one of you who has taken the time to be a blessing to us as we prepare for this big event.
Most of all, I want to thank God for all the little ways that HE finds to encourage us when we are doing His will. This Scripture passage has repeatedly blessed me. I pray that these words will be an encouragement to you also as I close.
Phillipians 4: 6,7: Be careful (overly concerned) for nothing; but in EVERYTHING by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Remember, too, the little phrase that I started this post with. To the world you may be just one person but to one person, you may be the world. I pray that you will join me as I study the ways that God encourages the whole world with His precious love. May I be an encourager as He is!!!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'm so glad you were encouraged and able to laugh when things seem to be going wrong. You are right, the Lord does have everything under control. You HAVE done your part. I know you will enjoy being with those who will be there. I wish I could be one of them. Am and will be praying for you and your family! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly,
Do you remember when we were praying for little baby girls together? I'll never forget that day. Well, God answered each of our prayers, but in different ways than I expected. I know that I'll enjoy mine forever when I get to the other side where she lives. :)
It would appear that this rain is a "Different" way that God is answering my prayers. All last weekend, when the weather was so awesome, I assumed that He would carry that on into this weekend. He didn't, and now that I've worked through my "Disappointment" with Him, I am eager to see what He WILL do with this time together with friends--new and "Old". I'm so thankful for the "Old" ones, like you, who pray for me to have peace in ALL KINDS OF WEATHER!
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, DEAR FRIEND! I will pray that the Lord will work it out for you to come to a shoot here at another time. He certainly DOES give us the desires of our hearts. Sometimes, we just have to wait for them, don't we?
Happy Sabbath,
Dawn

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...