Monday, October 19, 2009

Master Cleanse 3-day 4

Today was much better on the Master Cleanse as nothing traumatic happened except a spider came a little too close to me for his own good. I took a little garden tour to see what else needs doing out there before winter sets in. I took my camera along so I could share some pictures with you.

Here is the Fall display that the guys helped me to assemble yesterday. Millie is no longer afraid of the camera, as you can see. Our pumpkins didn't turn out this year so I'm missing the bright orange that we usually see in the display. I guess I'm too cheap to put out one of those that I bought from Sam's for pumpkin bars. :) Our guys MUST have their pumpkin bars, you know! Not that Cora and I won't have one when we're done with the Master Cleanse--only 9 days to go.

Here's a view of the freshly planted tulip row in my big flower bed. Steve Shadler, our friend who knows the most about landscaping of anyone I know, said to leave the Black Eyed Susan's in for the Winter. Andrew had a fun time tilling behind them, but he did a good job. Thanks, boys, for taking over that project when the boys got to me!!!!!!!11

I still want to pick these beans when they get dry. It's been so damp that I'm afraid they'll just mold as I don't have a wonderful old barn to hang them in to dry as people used to do. I could use the seeds either for soup or for planting next year as they're open pollinated. If it stays damp, though, they may just end up being rabbit food. :)

I spent about an hour this afternoon picking dill seed. I love growing dill as we like the leaves in garden salads and we love sauteing cabbage or zucchini in butter with dill seed added. Dill usually grows wild in my garden so I wasn't surprised when Andrew came over and said to me, "Why on earth are you saving dill seed when it's already all over your garden?" I told him that one year in Temvik I thought that way and ended up with 0 dill plants. I like to plant at least 1 row of dill, then, every Spring just in case.

This is one of my most favorite plants in the whole world. It's red clover and I like to harvest the big red blossoms for tea. Red clover is nature's richest source of the complete B complex and the tea is just wonderful. For some reason, every time I've tried to start a patch over here, it hasn't worked. This year I got this much growth but will it be able to withstand a ND winter, only Spring will tell.
This is a picture of the east side of my garden which is pretty much cleaned off now. Only the sunflowers remain standing at the back. We decided to leave them out to feed the birds this Fall and Winter.
Zooming in on the sunflowers.
Here's a closeup of one of the heads. As you can see here, the birds have already found the sunflower heads and have figured out that they are for their delight. :)


Another picture of the Fall display after I added Cora's birdhouse gourds. Millie is checking one of them out. Does anybody know if they're poisonous to goats?

Well, I'm hurting more tonight than I usually do. Part of it is from the upset yesterday, I'm sure. I think, though, that some of it may be from the fact that I've been too swamped to do my Core program exercises. I'd best get to it and I wish you all a good night. I hope that you enjoyed my Fall garden tour as much as I did. :)

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I like the display. And I enjoyed all the pictures. It sure is wet out there today! Blessings

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...