Monday, June 22, 2009

Prairie Days continued

Right after lunch on Saturday, Mark and Lynette, led the group in singing some hymns and rounds and an eating song. I have been begging for a choir for years now so I was delighted to see that a few others were interested in singing together. We practiced an hour and then people split up. Most of the young men and ladies headed over to the place where they were having the lumberjack contest. I spent a half an hour helping Benjamin clean up the kitchen for supper.

When I was finished, I too went to see how the lumbermen/women were doing. Cora took some pictures of the event. Here Jacob is partnered with Peter Bartlett and push/pulling for all he was worth. You can see the determination to push his muscles to try to beat the clock.

Cora got this gem of Robert pondering. Robert told me later that something just didn't seem right. The young men seemed to be wasting energy by rocking the saw too much. Shortly after this, our new friend Bob Disney came upon the scene. He and Robert got to talking about this and thought that they could do better. Well, Bob talked my Robert into giving it a whirl and sure enough, they were right. In other words, they WON THE LUMBERJACK CONTEST with the least amount of time spent in cutting the log. They beat ALL of the young men and Robert later summarized with, "It's not always brawn that wins the battle--brains come in handy too." Andrew said, "Ya, like you weren't pulling for all you were worth." They laughed and I wished that I had been there to see it.

Here Bob Disney is playing CAT AND MOUSE. He has on the white shirt and hat. What a great mind this guy has. Later he spoke about his new project. He's now marketing SONIC BLOOM. This is a system that makes plants grow phenomenally large and strong. I've read about it before so I was excited to hear Bob answer my questions. Now, for some cash........

Later, Cora went to Suzanna Dagley's old time photo shoot. She had so much fun getting dressed up in an old time dress, hat, and gloves. I have lots of pictures of her but this was my favorite. I couldn't help but think how much she looks like Marila's Anne girl here. With the sun shining on her hair, you can see the beautiful auburn color that I love so much on my very own Cora girl! One thing that surprised Robert and I, as we looked at the pictures of our lovely daughter, is how grown up she looks. Usually people think that she looks like she's 17 or so, when she's actually 22. How lovely is my sweet young miss!!!

Well, it's time to make supper and I still am not finished with remembering all of the wonderful events of Prairie Days this year. I guess I'll have to conclude another time. Feel free to go to Cora's blog to see all of the wonderful pictures that she has posted there.

Later,

Dawn

No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...