Thursday, May 21, 2009

MC2-Day 4

Today was the worst day yet. I was achy, grouchy, tired, and anxious. Still, we got the newly-planted grass covered with a layer of straw; another area planted and covered; my winter clothes put away; and 2 chores finished. Every good thing is worth working for. Please pray for me. Now Robert is ready for his haircut.

The work is never finished on a dairy farm and there is no such thing as a day off. The milking MUST be done twice a day no matter what the weather is and no matter what you are feeling like. I have had to learn to take little siestas wherever I can in order to keep myself going. Sometimes it's a soak in the whirlpool; sometimes a piano duet with Cora; sometimes writing on my blog; often it's doing cortices; and most of the time it's talking to my Heavenly Father who never gets a break either.

I wish that I had known, early in my marriage, that it's important for me to nurture myself in these little ways throughout the day. I thought that I was more "Christian" if I just gave myself away and never expected anything in return. That's the kind of thinking that landed me in bed for months with shingles on my brain. That's not the answer either. I have come to see that true health only comes from achieving balance between serving the Lord; serving others; and meeting my needs. The order of priority here changes from day to day, or from hour to hour, but I have come to see that I MUST make my needs a priority somewhere in the midst of the busyness of EVERY DAY!!!

I have come to appreciate the Reiki principals, which I recite to myself every day. Reiki is the laying on of hands, as spoken of in the Bible, where God's power flows through the person to bless others. I've added a few words to the last one as a reminder of my need to value myself. This is how they go.

Just for today, I will be thankful for my many blessings.
Just for today, I will not worry.
Just for today, I will not be angry.
Just for today, I will do my work honestly.
Just for today, I will be kind to my neighbor and every living thing,
(This is where I add) and to myself.
It's amazing how these simple thoughts have guided my thinking in the past half a year. You see, I used to think that I had to change my whole life before I would be acceptable to God and to myself. I'd give up in despair because how can anyone change their whole life in just one day? Now I see that I only need to be in control of myself ONE DAY AT A TIME!!! Taking control of every day, one day at a time, IS changing the rest of my life. Thinking this way has removed the burden of "Tomorrow." It isn't resting on me today making the burden impossible--all I have to do is live today well and then tomorrow will be well too! :)
This reminds me of another treasure I have to share. These words hang on a plaque in my bathroom and have blessed me immeasurably too. It says, "Today well-lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope."
We only have today to live well so let's pick ourselves up; dust ourselves off; and get up in the saddle again dear friends. HAPPY TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought that I'd mention that we reached 50 on the head count for Andrew's graduation today. Please keep the RSVPs coming as I plan to order the food next week.

No comments:

Have you Signed the Petition?

 Hi everyone,   The world is going crazy.  Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, 2023.  People were killed in their beds.  Women were raped.  ...